weather icon Partly Cloudy
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper


The Rebels scored the final 10 points of the first half and trail New Mexico 14-13 at the half at Sam Boyd Stadium.
Rodney Ferguson scored early in the second quarter to give the Lobos a 14-3 lead, but UNLV got back into the contest.
After kicking a field goal, the Rebels ended the half on a Mike Clausen-to-Rodelin Anthony 10-yard touchdown pass with just 3 seconds to play.
UNLV’s field goal was set up by a 77-yard interception return by Quinton Pointer. Pointer looked like he would score a touchdown before tripping and falling at the New Mexico 12-yard line.
Kyle Watson kicked a field goal four plays later.
Clausen is just 9-for-23 passing but has 124 yards and a touchdown and has picked up 41 yards on the ground.

UNLV freshman Phillip Payne jumped high to make a catch on UNLV’s final drive of the second quarter.
He nearly came down with the ball, but it came loose when he landed after being hit by a pair of defenders.
More significant, Payne came down hard and stayed down.
The Western High School product missed last week’s game after suffering a concussion against Brigham Young two week’s ago. His status for the second half is unknown.
Anthony ran his route to perfection on the touchdown. Clausen threw him the fade pass that would normally be intended for Payne and Anthony came down with the ball despite being interfered with on the play.

Pointer intercepted a pass from New Mexico wide receiver Michael Scarlett midway through the second quarter.
He took the ball down the sideline and broke a tackle near midfield that should have allowed him to score.
Unfortunately for the Rebels, Pointer instead tripped over the 15-yard line. At least that’s what it looked like.
Pointer fell down and UNLV then went three-and-out and had to settle for a Kyle Watson field goal.
On a positive note, the interception was the first for the UNLV defense since Beau Orth’s pick in the second quarter of the Arizona State game on Sept. 13. The drought covered 28 quarters.
As mentioned, the interception was thrown by a wide receiver.
It was the second pass thrown by a non-quarterback on the drive.
The trick plays were set up by the reverse that went for a touchdown in the first quarter.

After a defensive stop late in the first quarter, UNLV appeared ready to get the ball in good field position and take back the momentum in the game.
Instead, Michael Johnson muffed a punt and gave New Mexico the ball at the Rebels’ 38-yard line.
The defense stiffened and forced what would have been a third-and-20.
Jacob Hales spoiled that by getting called for a personal foul, resulting in an automatic first down.
New Mexico kept the ball and scored its second touchdown of the game to extend the lead to 14-3 early in the second quarter.

Deante Purvis gave UNLV the ball at the New Mexico 39-yard line with a 55-yard kickoff return early in the second quarter.
The Rebels offense, however, failed to pick up a first down and had to settle for a 52-yard Ben Jaekle field goal attempt, which was missed.
The Purvis return was the longest kickoff runback since a 59-yarder by Dominique Dorsey in 2004.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.