weather icon Clear
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Homeowners feel garbage bill unfair

Q: We read your column each Saturday and enjoy your advice. My husband thought you might be able to assist us with our issue. We own a house that we lived in for three years, then moved and rented it for two years. After the renters left we tried to give the house back to the bank, but they wouldn’t take it. Finally, after it sat empty for six years, we recouped the house, sold our other house and moved back in. We’re glad to be home. Republic Services sent us a bill for $956 for service on the house while it was empty. We provided them with a letter from NV Energy showing the house had no electricity for more than six years. Still Republic Service insists we owe that money. I am at my wits end. I cannot afford to pay that much money and in reality, we don’t owe them. Do you have any suggestions?

A: If the house is not being occupied, Republic Services’ contract with the county allows them to charge rubbish fees, unless you can provide proof that there were no utilities on during the time the house was vacant. You need to speak to a supervisor. If you still have a problem, you will need to contact Clark County. Ask for the division that controls the enforcement of their contract.

Barbara Holland, certified property manager, broker and supervisory certified association manager, is president and owner of H&L Realty and Management Co. Questions may be sent to the Association Q&A, P.O. Box 7440, Las Vegas, Nev., 89125. Fax is 702-385-3759, email is support@hlrealty.com.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.