911 tape reveals early concern over Nevada burn
May 26, 2012 - 1:00 am
CARSON CITY- Questions are being raised over fire crews' response to a backyard burn that rekindled two days later, destroying two homes in a Douglas County community and scorching 7,500 acres.
According to a 911 recording, resident Bill Elliott called emergency personnel Sunday morning to report that his neighbor's permitted burn in the Topaz Ranch Estates was out of control.
"It looks like it's getting into the trees," Elliott said on the tape. "This place is dry like a bone."
Residents said volunteer firefighters with the East Fork Fire Protection District arrived but then left, apparently without extinguishing the fire.
While community departments within the East Fork Fire Protection District rely mainly on volunteers, management personnel are paid county employees.
District Fire Chief Tod Carlini did not respond to messages seeking comment Friday about the response or whether firefighters determined the residents had the burn under control when they went to the home nestled against the Pine Nut Mountains. Earlier in the week, Carlini wouldn't comment on whether the fire department was called out that Sunday, citing the ongoing investigation.