Surcharge, fund drive give UNR band life
September 23, 2009 - 9:00 pm
RENO -- The beat will go on for the University of Nevada, Reno's marching band.
The "Pride of the Sierra" was supposed to be disbanded next year because of budget cuts but was saved by a community fund drive spearheaded by Reno Mayor Bob Cashell.
That effort raised $117,000 but would have kept the band alive only through June.
"Starting this year, Nevada will put a $5 surcharge on all season tickets to football and to men's and women's basketball games, with the proceeds going to the Pride of the Sierra marching and pep bands," said Keith Hackett, Wolf Pack associate athletic director.
Alan Sullivan, band director, said the surcharge is a financial reprieve for the band. "This is the year of the rebirth of the band," Sullivan said.
Cashell said the next step is to form an alumni association of UNR band graduates to help raise funds that, added to the $50,000 a year from the ticket surcharge, could be used to set up an endowment.
Until then, the band will not accompany Nevada to any away football or basketball games unless they make it to a bowl or tournament game, Sullivan said. The marching band usually had 110 members, and as many as 160 in the past, but is down to 74, he said.
"I think it's because of the late reinstatement of the band, and I was not able to really get out and recruit during the prime period last fall semester and earlier this year," Sullivan said. "I know in these tough economic times, it's difficult for high school students to keep going with their musical education. But we will be out there recruiting, and we will try to get as many of our local students to participate in the band and grow from here."