90°F
weather icon Clear

Teen guilty of fatally shooting youth in the back

A jury deliberated just 45 minutes before finding a teen guilty of first-degree murder for shooting a 13-year-old boy in the back last year.

Richard Satterfield, 19, will be sentenced by District Judge Donald Mosley Sept. 5 for the killing of Edgar Dewayne Poe. The death penalty is not an option because Satterfield was 17 at the time of the shooting.

According to police, Poe was walking home from a party at the Joshua Villas apartments on Cheyenne Avenue near Las Vegas Boulevard on March 31, 2006, when he was shot while running away from Satterfield

At the party, Poe, who was about 6 feet tall, had bragged he could beat up anyone there.

The statement angered Satterfield, an alleged member of the Insane Crips, a gang in Long Beach, Calif., police said.

Satterfield and Poe exchanged words, and Poe left the party and headed toward his family's apartment up the street.

When Poe was about halfway home, Satterfield, Rondell Scott and several other men pulled up next to him in a car. Satterfield got out and tried to punch Poe, who ran. Satterfield then walked to the car, got a .380-caliber handgun from Scott and opened fire on Poe as he fled, police said.

Poe died in the street.

Scott received probation in September after pleading guilty to being an accessory to murder.

MOST READ
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former VP Harris

President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris, a senior White House official said on Friday.

MORE STORIES