IN BRIEF
January 14, 2010 - 10:00 pm
BOXING
Former champion Hatton planning return to ring
Ricky Hatton wants to end his career on a high note rather than his second-round knockout at the hands of Manny Pacquiao.
The loss to Pacquiao in an IBO title fight eight months ago is still weighing on the former world light welterweight champion.
"As a fighter, you don't want your last fight to be like that," Hatton, 31, said Wednesday. "I want to finish at the top, and I know my last training camp could have been better, so those are the reasons I'm giving it one more go.
"I've sat down and listened to the people that are close to me and know what I'm capable of."
No date or venue has been set for the comeback bout, but Hatton (45-2) said he wants a tough challenge.
Hatton's losses have come against the last two pound-for-pound kings, after being stopped in 10 rounds by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December 2007 for the WBC title.
GOLF
General Motors no longer giving Woods free loaner cars
General Motors Co. said an agreement with Tiger Woods that allowed the fallen golf star to have free access to its vehicles is over.
Woods' endorsement contract with GM's Buick brand ended in 2008, but an arrangement remained in place that allowed him to keep several GM loaner vehicles. A spokesman said the arrangement ended Dec. 31 and that the date was not related to Woods' recent woes.
Woods has lost a host of endorsement contracts since the Nov. 27 car crash outside his Florida home. The accident triggered allegations of marital infidelity that led him to take a break from professional golf.
Also: Authorities arrested a man accused of replacing labels on dozens of Gatorade bottles in Colorado with ones that had a picture of Tiger Woods and his wife and the word "unfaithful."
Jason Eric Kay, 38, of Longmont, Colo., was being held on three charges alleging he misbranded and altered food labels with intent to hurt a brand or business.
Ryo Ishikawa, the 18-year-old star who topped the money list on the Japan Golf Tour last year, will make his first start on the PGA Tour at the Northern Trust Open at Riviera.
The tournament will be Feb. 4 to 7 in Los Angeles.
MISCELLANEOUS
Salmon Kings' power play proves too much for Wranglers
The Wranglers fell to the Victoria Salmon Kings for the second straight night, giving up three third-period goals in a 6-4 ECHL loss in Victoria, British, Columbia.
In a wild 37-second stretch early in the third, Las Vegas' Greg Collins scored to tie the game at 3, Victoria's Scott Howes scored 16 seconds later, and the Wranglers' Ned Lukacevic lit the lamp 21 seconds after that, knotting the game at 4.
But Victoria (21-16-1) tacked on two power-play goals later in the period and shut out the Wranglers (16-16-4) the rest of the way.
Also: Former Reno High School basketball star Olek Czyz has decided to transfer from Duke to UNR.
The 6-foot-7-inch sophomore forward announced last month he intended to leave Duke because of a lack of playing time. He confirmed in a text message to the Reno Gazette-Journal on Tuesday that he selected UNR over Arizona State.
He will be eligible to play for the Wolf Pack after the fall semester next season and will have 21/2 years of eligibility remaining.
Top-ranked Serena Williams rallied from a set and 5-2 down to beat France's Avarane Rezai 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 and reach the final of the Sydney International in Sydney, Australia.
Rezai was serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set before Williams rallied to win five straight games to level the match and go a break up in the third on the way to victory.
In the final of this Australian Open tuneup, Williams will face Elena Dementieva, who beat sixth-seeded Victoria Azarenka, 6-3, 6-1.
ESPN is shifting the bulk of its Chase for the Sprint Cup championship coverage to its cable network this season, taking 14 of the 17 NASCAR races it shares with partner ABC.
ESPN executive vice president John Skipper said the decision is based on the cable network's higher ratings. ESPN has aired six races a year the past three seasons, and ABC has had 11 each year.
Doctors at University Hospital in Salt Lake City said star American snowboarder Kevin Pearce is making encouraging strides in his recovery after suffering a severe brain injury last month.
Dr. Elaine Skalabrin said in a statement that Pearce is "actively participating in his therapies" and making daily progress.
Doctors removed Pearce's breathing tube last week and upgraded his condition from critical to serious.