74°F
weather icon Partly Cloudy

Former governor Robert List endorses Giuliani

Republican former Gov. Robert List has endorsed former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani for president, Giuliani's campaign announced Monday.

List, who was governor of Nevada for one term from 1979 to 1983, believes Giuliani is "the only Republican that can win," according to a news release from the campaign. List hosted a small, exclusive fundraiser when Giuliani visited Las Vegas last week.

List also said he admired Giuliani's work in improving the economy and reducing crime while mayor.

Giuliani's campaign manager, Michael DuHaime, said, "Governor List is a respected Republican leader in the state."

List is also something of a political pariah in Nevada because he has lobbied for the nuclear power industry in favor of the proposed nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain, which the state officially opposes, as do most residents.

No Republican candidate has committed to stop the project if elected. Asked about Yucca in March, Giuliani said safety issues with the site were "matters of grave concern," but didn't rule it out.

Giuliani's campaign didn't return a phone call seeking comment on List's association with Yucca.

Of Nevada's living former governors, Republican Kenny Guinn supports former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Democrat Bob Miller supports New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Republican Paul Laxalt and Democrat Richard Bryan are uncommitted, as is current Gov. Jim Gibbons.

Contact reporter Molly Ball at mball@reviewjournal.com or (702) 387-2919.

MOST READ
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
At least 18 killed in major Russian attack on the center of Kyiv

The Kremlin said Russia remained interested in continuing peace talks despite Thursday’s air attack, which was one of the war’s biggest since it began in 2022.

Police: Minneapolis church shooter filled with hatred, admired mass killers

Investigators have recovered hundreds of pieces of evidence from the church and three residences, and are seeking warrants to search devices, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara said.

MORE STORIES