90°F
weather icon Cloudy

Public defender requests to leave Fla. massacre suspect’s case

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The public defenders representing the suspect in last year’s Florida high school massacre have made an unexpected request to withdraw from the case, saying the man will soon receive nearly a half million dollars from his late mother’s life insurance policy.

The Broward County Public Defender’s Office filed a notice late Wednesday saying Nikolas Cruz is set to receive more than $432,000. Under state law, the public defender can only represent defendants who cannot afford private attorneys.

Public Defender Howard Finkelstein said his office learned about the policy this week.

It’s likely that the victims’ families who are suing Cruz for the Feb. 14, 2018, Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting that left 17 dead will make a claim for the money. Judges will have to determine who gets it.

MOST READ
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
At least 18 killed in major Russian attack on the center of Kyiv

The Kremlin said Russia remained interested in continuing peace talks despite Thursday’s air attack, which was one of the war’s biggest since it began in 2022.

Police: Minneapolis church shooter filled with hatred, admired mass killers

Investigators have recovered hundreds of pieces of evidence from the church and three residences, and are seeking warrants to search devices, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara said.

It’s the cheapest time of the year to visit Disneyland right now

The start of Disneyland’s busy Halloween season is also one of the cheapest times of the year to visit the Anaheim theme park when bargain hunters can save more than $100 on tickets.

‘It was that bad’: Powerful haboob sweeps through Phoenix

A towering wall of dust rolled through metro Phoenix with storms that left thousands of people without power and temporarily grounded flights at the city airport.

MORE STORIES