Gilbert case still unresolved
May 25, 2008 - 9:00 pm
Just when Joey Gilbert thought he found resolution in his disciplinary case with the Nevada Athletic Commission and was going to put the matter behind him, the Reno middleweight found himself essentially back at square one.
By a unanimous 5-0 vote, the commission Saturday rejected a settlement proposal between Gilbert and his attorney, Mark Schopper, and Nevada deputy attorney general Chris Eccles. Instead, the NAC has called for an evidentiary hearing, which will give it the latitude to suspend and/or fine Gilbert.
Had the settlement proposal been accepted, Gilbert would have admitted to having fought Sept. 21, 2007, with Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid, in his system.
In return, his suspension, which has entered his ninth month, essentially would have been considered served, and he would have been able to reapply for his license. He also would not have been fined.
That did not sit well with the commissioners.
"I'm not a believer in settlements," commissioner Pat Lundvall said. "Public hearings shed light, and I see it as something that protects the integrity of the commission and that of Mr. Gilbert."
Gilbert, who turns 32 in two weeks, now must go through the traditional process and defend himself before the commission. He said that by the time he and Schopper have the necessary evidence to make their case, it could take two months, maybe longer.
"Disappointed is an understatement, absolutely," Gilbert said after the 90-minute hearing at the Grant Sawyer Office Building. "As a fighter, if you take too many backward steps, it's over. I've been in the gym training the last three months, hoping this would be resolved in a fair manner. I mean, it's been nine months.
"I understand where the commissioners are coming from because it's my integrity that's at stake as well as the commission's, and I understand that."
Commission chairman John Bailey said that whenever Gilbert finally is ready to go, he'll be placed on the agenda.
"I'm hopeful we'll get this resolved as soon as possible," Bailey said. "I just don't think the commissioners were fully comfortable with all aspects of the agreement, and we'll go the traditional route."
Gilbert's boxing license remains suspended. He also held a license to promote fights in Nevada. However, that license expired at the end of 2007 and has yet to be renewed.
• JUDAH-CLOTTEY FOR AUGUST -- Jab Zudah might have lost a big payday when an arm injury prompted cancellation of his May 31 fight with Shane Mosley at Mandalay Bay. But Judah will return to the ring Aug. 2 when he meets Josh Clottey for the vacant IBF welterweight title.
According to Michael Shinefield, Judah's manager, the two sides have reached an oral agreement and will meet in Connecticut, either at Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods.
"Zab hasn't signed anything, but I expect that to happen within the next week," Shinefield said Saturday. "This is big for Zab. It lets people know Zab was ready for a big fight. Clottey's a good fighter. Nobody wants to fight him."
Judah received 50 stitches in his right arm late last month after slipping in the bathroom at the Top Rank Gym and putting his arm through a glass shower door. Shinefield said the stitches have been removed, and Judah was back in the gym earlier this week working out and doing contact drills.
"He's fine," Shinefield said. "You wouldn't even know he was injured."
• KELP LEAVING UNLV -- Skipper Kelp, who has coached UNLV's boxing team since its inception in 1999, is leaving to become a mixed martial arts promoter.
Kelp received his approval for a promoter's license Saturday and said it's too good a business opportunity to pass up.
"I've been looking to do this for a while," he said of promoting MMA. "But I will always be a part of UNLV boxing."
Kelp said Chris Ben-Tchavtchavade will succeed him as coach.
Contact reporter Steve Carp at scarp@ reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2913.