As Nevada’s unemployment benefits run dry, Berkley blasts Republicans for stalling
February 26, 2010 - 2:52 pm
It’s shaping up as the next national political story that’s sure to have enormous implications for ailing Nevada: the blockage in Congress of funds to extend the unemployment benefits of thousands of out-of-work residents.
State unemployment officials have been bracing for the worst as Nevada’s pool of available resources has been drained rapidly by a 13-percent official unemployment rate. (Some insiders believe the actual unemployment figure is closer to 20 percent.)
I tried to bring the issue to the draw the attention of the community and Nevada’s Congressional delegation last week in a column.
Now Rep Shelley Berkley is blasting Republicans in Congress for failing to step up in a timely manner to address an issue that will mean the difference between thousands of Nevadans surviving a few more months or going homeless in a manner of days.
“With Nevada’s unemployment rate in double digits and families relying on these benefits to put food on the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this move will only punish those in our community who are already struggling,” said Berkley.
One source close to the story tells me many hundreds of Southern Nevada unemployment benefits recipients are living in daily-weekly rentals and will be left homeless if Congress doesn't act swiftly.
Berkley said the legislative package also slows a “devastating 21% cut in payments to doctors in Las Vegas and across the U.S. who treat Medicare patients,” according to her statement.
She said, “Nevadans covered under Medicare could find themselves unable to see the doctor if we do not put a stop to these drastic cuts. Unless we pass this legislation, seniors and other Nevadans could lose the ability to see the doctor of their choice.”