Who needs to be tested? How do I get tested?

All people who have undergone treatment or a procedure at the Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada between March 2004 and Jan. 11, 2008, should call their primary care physician about getting a blood test for HIV and hepatitis B and C. Those who do not have a primary care physician can call the Southern Nevada Health District for a list of health care providers. Some of the providers offer payments on a sliding scale.

Who will pay for the tests? When can I get results?

People must pay for their own testing. Results generally are available within 24 hours to one week, depending on the clinic performing the test.

Is exposure limited to hepatitis B and C and HIV? Are there other blood-borne diseases that might be involved?

The Southern Nevada Health District’s notification is specifically for hepatitis B and C and HIV.

How can I prevent spreading hepatitis?

If you are one of the patients at risk, then do not share personal care items that might have blood on them, such as razors and toothbrushes, and do not donate blood, organs or tissue. Hepatitis can be spread by sex, and use of latex condoms is advised. 

Where do I go to get more information?

Call the Southern Nevada Health District’s hot line at 759-4636 or visit its Web site at www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/outbreaks/index.htm.

News Headlines
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like