According to the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, Washoe County Republicans conducted a straw poll at their annual Lincoln Dinner to see who should challenge Harry Reid for the Senate in 2010. If this list really does represent GOP thinking in Nevada, then the 2010 election for U.S. Senate will be a cake-walk for Harry.
Here were the contenders, along with my comments:
1. U. S. Rep. Dean Heller — Not tough enough, but he’d have a chance just by having some name recognition and not being Reid.
2. Former Gov. Kenny Guinn — Forget about it. He’s happy in retirement and, besides, who would be the conservative candidate in that match-up?
3. Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki — Road kill.
4. Former Nevada Sen. Bob Beers — Road kill with an attitude.
5. Bill Manders — Bill is a radio talk show host up north. I don’t think I need to also say: “You gotta be kidding?”
6. State Sen. Randolph Townsend — Please, no more wine for the voters.
7. Baseball star Greg Maddux — Now we’re talkin’. Huge name recognition. Likable. No political record. Perfect political candidate.
8. Former Incline Assemblywoman Sharron Angle — What? Did Harry get to vote? Suicide.
Aside from Maddux, no outside-the-box thinking going on here. It’s a straw poll, for goodness sake. You’d think the group might dare to dream bigger than, say, Randolph Townsend. For example, where’s the Mitt Romney rumor of him buying a house in Tahoe and establishing residency? Sue Lowden? Bruce Woodbury? Or, Henderson Mayor Jim Gibson switching parties? That’s just off the top of my head … and I’m a Democrat.
You can read the full story here.