The mother of a 14-year-old boy struck and killed by a car as he crossed a southeastern Las Vegas thoroughfare in April has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Clark County over an out-of-service crosswalk.
With coronavirus infections on the rise in Clark County, jury trials that had been scheduled to start next month in District Court were canceled, Chief Judge Linda Bell said Monday.
For 10 years, CPS documented a chaotic home life for the boy, who died in a one-bedroom apartment where 13 children lived. His father is charged with murder. Aaron’s body was found under plastic and rocks in the desert.
“Essential hearings and functions” will happen at the federal building again on Wednesday. The court said that “impacted parties” will be notified about hearings.
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday named Jacqueline Bluth, 37, a Las Vegas prosecutor with a dozen years in the Clark County district attorney’s office, to a vacant seat on the District Court in Las Vegas.
Details about sealed court cases were obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal during the nationally recognized Sunshine Week, which is held each year to focus attention on access to public information.
A Las Vegas attorney who commonly defends drunken driving suspects was arrested recently on suspicion of driving under the influence, records show.
Spreading the office’s specialized prosecution team across 10 courtrooms means they will have a harder time providing support to frightened victims who may leave court before testifying, according to spokeswoman Audrie Locke.
GOP lawmakers, the Trump administration and Democrats were sharply divided over public land use and a Nevada standoff between federal law enforcement and a militia led by Cliven Bundy before he was freed from jail. Now those positions have hardened and the battle is moving to Congress.
The Nevada Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the convictions and death sentences for Donte Johnson in connection with a 1988 quadruple homicide in Las Vegas.