The Nevada State Contractors Board urges consumers to follow these simple tips when dealing with a contractor:
* Hire only licensed contractors. Ask to see the license.
* Don’t rush into decisions or hire without checking out potential contractors.
* Be especially wary when approached by someone offering home improvements door-to-door.
* Verify the contractor’s license by checking online at www.nscb.state.nv.us or via automated phone service at 486-1100.
* Ensure the contractor is properly licensed for the work you want done on your home.
* Limit the amount of your down payment or deposit to 10 percent of the total contract.
* Don’t pay cash without obtaining signed receipts, and don’t let the payments get ahead of the work.
Information courtesy Nevada State Contractors Board