weather icon Partly Cloudy

Girl dies at sleepover after drinking spiked soda

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — Authorities say a 14-year-old Northern California girl has died and three of her friends became ill after drinking an unknown substance mixed into their soda during a weekend sleepover.

Sonoma County Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Brown says paramedics found the girl dead on her bedroom floor around 9 a.m. Sunday. The girl had hosted a sleepover Saturday night at her Santa Rosa house.

Brown says the girl’s mother woke up during the night and saw the girls throwing up. They told her they were suffering from food poisoning.

The friends later told investigators that the girl had passed around a soda that had tasted strange, but they said they didn’t know what was in it.

Brown says he doesn’t know if the incident is alcohol-related. Toxicology reports are pending.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Gunman opens fire inside California Costco, killing 1

A gunman opened fire inside a Southern California Costco during an argument Friday night, killing a man, wounding two other people and sparking a stampede of terrified shoppers before he was taken into custody, police said.