weather icon Mostly Cloudy
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Cincinnati Zoo to re-open gorilla exhibit after installing higher barrier

CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Zoo said Thursday it will re-open its gorilla exhibit next week with a higher, reinforced barrier after a 3-year-old boy got into the enclosure, leading to the primate’s fatal shooting.

Zoo spokeswoman Michelle Curley said the outer barrier will now be 42 inches high — a half foot taller than before — with solid wood beams on top and at the bottom, plus knotted rope netting at the bottom.

The zoo said there had been no earlier breaches in Gorilla World’s 38-year history and that the previous barrier had passed multiple inspections by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which accredits zoos.

“Our exhibit goes above and beyond standard safety requirements, but in light of what happened, we have modified the outer public barrier to make entry even more difficult,” zoo director Thane Maynard said in a statement.

Meanwhile, a prosecutor was reviewing the police investigation into the parents of the boy, who fell some 15 feet Saturday into a shallow moat after apparently climbing over the barrier. A special response team shot and killed 17-year-old Harambe after concluding the boy’s life was at stake.


Friday is “the earliest” Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters will make a decision on charges, spokesman Triffin Callos said. Legal experts have told The Associated Press that a prosecution in the case seems unlikely.

A Cincinnati police report identifies the boy’s mother as Michelle Gregg, 32, who works at preschool near Cincinnati. The child’s father isn’t named in the report, and it’s not clear whether he was at the zoo Saturday.

The boy’s family has said he is doing well at home after being treated at a hospital Saturday evening. Police said he had scrapes on his head and knee.

“The child was alert and talking,” the police report stated.

A spokeswoman said the family requests privacy and has no comment on the investigation.

University of Dayton law professor Lori Shaw said child endangering cases are complicated and fact-specific. She said Ohio law requires that the defendant be found “reckless” and to have exposed a child to “substantial risk,” or a strong possibility of harm.

Police released 911 tapes on Wednesday highlighting the confusion and panic in the moments when the boy plunged into the gorilla exhibit.


“He’s dragging my son! I can’t watch this!” a woman says in the 911 call on Saturday. As she pleads for help, she shouts at her son repeatedly: “Be calm!”

A record of police calls shows nine minutes passed between the first emergency call about the boy falling into the enclosure and when the child was safe.

The police report states that witnesses said the gorilla initially appeared to be protecting the child, but after onlookers began screaming, he became “agitated and scared” and began dragging the child.

The boy’s family has expressed gratitude to the zoo for protecting his life.

Seewer reported from Toledo. Associated Press writer Andrew Welsh-Huggins contributed to this report.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
New COVID-19 origins data point to raccoon dogs in China market

Genetic material collected at a Chinese market near where the first human cases of COVID-19 were identified show raccoon dog DNA comingled with the virus, international experts say.

Earthquake damages Ecuador, Peru

The earthquake with about 6.8 magnitude on Saturday, as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey, killed at least 15 people and brought down homes and buildings in vastly different communities, from coastal areas to the highlands.

International court issues war crimes warrant for Putin

The International Criminal Court said on Friday it issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin for war crimes because of his alleged involvement in abductions of children from Ukraine.

Florida hiker, 1 other found dead in southern Utah flooding

Two men were found dead after floodwaters poured into a slot canyon in southern Utah, endangering three groups of hikers who had to be hoisted out via helicopter.