Police: Man shot, killed had two guns

For the second time in less than a week, a gun-toting man was fatally shot by Las Vegas police after they said he ignored orders to disarm.

The latest officer-involved shooting happened late Wednesday after police responded to a domestic dispute on the 7700 block of Golden Talon Avenue, near Elkhorn Road and North Buffalo Drive.

Several residents in the middle-class neighborhood said they heard multiple gunshots fired in the vicinity of 7712 Golden Talon Ave. The unidentified man died early Thursday at University Medical Center.

Police said officers fired their weapons because the man had two guns and was attempting to enter his home. His wife, who called 911 shortly before 11 p.m., was inside the home with the couple’s 3-year-old child. Officers feared for the safety of the man’s family, police said in a statement.

Officers arrived to find the man sitting near a car. An officer trained as a Crisis Intervention Team member unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate with the man for more than 15 minutes.

Police said the man was shot after he rose from a sitting position and moved toward the residence. A man at the home where the shooting occurred said Thursday he didn’t want to comment.

One witness said she heard police giving the man orders to "put the guns down." The woman, who asked not to be identified, said she awoke to flashing lights and shouting coming from outside. She opened her bedroom window and saw about seven officers in a semi-circle formation with their guns drawn on someone. She could not see the suspect.

"When I saw the guns drawn, I got away from the window," she said. "I didn’t want to know, hear or see anything."

The woman said she heard the gunshots about 11:18 p.m. while she was in a hallway away from her bedroom window.

The woman said the neighborhood is usually quiet. She and other residents said they don’t recall police ever being called to the home where the shooting occurred.

"It was surreal," the neighbor said. "I couldn’t believe I was living in that moment."

Another witness, 18-year-old Ashlie Bloom, lives across the street from where the man was shot and saw the shooting through an upstairs bathroom window. Bloom said her neighbor was holding a gun in his right hand. She couldn’t see the man’s left arm because a car on his property was obstructing her view.

She didn’t hear anything through her window, but said it appeared that police were trying to negotiate with the man.

Bloom said several officers fired their weapons at the man. She said her neighbor was on his feet when she began watching the incident.

Bloom said police fired as he turned to enter his home. She also said the gun the man was holding in his right hand wasn’t raised above his chest.

"They all fired together," Bloom said of the police. "It wasn’t like one fired and then six other shots were fired."

According to police policy, 48 hours must pass before the names of officers involved in a shooting are released. Those officers are placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

Early Saturday morning, 35-year-old Edmundo Del Valle died after being shot several times by Las Vegas police.

Police said they stopped Del Valle about 4:40 a.m. for jaywalking near 11th and Fremont streets. Police said it appeared Del Valle had a gun at his side.

After not following officers’ commands, Del Valle went to a kneeling position to fire, police said.

Las Vegas police spokesman Ramon Denby said all questions pertaining to the shooting will be answered during the coroner’s inquest. Coroner’s inquest dates have not been set in either of the two shootings.

Contact reporter Antonio Planas at or 702-383-4638.

News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like