Rimer complaints drew no agency interventions

One Rimer son told her about his father calling him the devil and spanking him so hard he couldn’t sit.

He told her about getting two slices of bread and water for dinner when he didn’t do his chores. Sometimes, he told her, the Rimer children went to bed without any dinner at all.

Despite concerns about what she heard, Traci Washington, then a case worker for Clark County’s Child Protective Services, closed the case on a supervisor’s order, according to grand jury transcripts obtained late Friday by the Review-Journal.

She testified she felt "somewhat uncomfortable" with the decision in early 2007.

"Clearly it appears that there is some type of abuse, either emotional or he’s borderline abusive in the sense that he does just enough, you know, he’s not starving the kids," she told the grand jury about the father, Stanley Rimer. "He gives them water and milk. And there appeared to be some emotional abuse."

Sixteen months later, the youngest and most vulnerable child in the family, Jason Rimer, died after being left in a sport utility vehicle for 17 hours. The June 9 death of the 4-year-old, who had a genetic disease that crippled his body and his mind, led to the grand jury that indicted Stanley Rimer and his wife, Colleen, last month on charges including second-degree murder and child neglect of their four other minor children, ages 9 to 15.

The children lived in a filthy home littered with animal feces, had head lice and were provided with minimal food, according to the indictment.

The couple pleaded not guilty to the charges, and their lawyers could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

Washington’s investigation was the last contact county child welfare workers had with the Rimer family before Jason’s death. Child Protective Services had received 20 prior complaints involving the family. All but two of the cases were unsubstantiated, and the last substantiated case came in 1991, for a lack of supervision.

Jason was born with myotonic dystrophy, a genetic disorder that attacks muscles and other body systems and hinders brain development in children. Jason had been walking for only six months and functioned at a 2-year-old level.

In December 2004, Child Protective Services opened its first case involving Jason after his developmental therapist called about Colleen Rimer improperly feeding her infant son.

Because of his muscular weakness, Jason ate through a feeding tube inserted into his stomach. But his mother fed him with a bottle, which could lead to malnourishment or aspiration of his food into his lungs, according to grand jury transcripts.

Case worker Tiffany Wedlow visited the Rimer home in northeast Las Vegas several times in the next few months to check on Jason and discuss proper feeding with his mother, she told the grand jury.

During her investigation, the agency received a complaint from Walter Hanna, a special education teacher at Keller Middle School. He had called Child Protective Services because the Rimer son in his class was infested with lice so bad that the school nurse had to pick the bugs off his face with tweezers, he told the grand jury.

When Wedlow talked to the child at school the next day, she found no lice, she testified. The boy told her his mother had given him two lice treatments the day before, she said.

When Wedlow visited the house in March 2005, Stanley Rimer confronted her.

"He was upset that we were still involved and wanted to know why was the case still open," Wedlow testified. "He felt that it was a conspiracy and that I was holding the case open for personal reasons."

Wedlow closed the case in June 2005 after collaborating with other service providers, including Jason’s doctor, who said he was gaining weight, she said.

She saw no bruises on the boy or other signs of abuse, she said.

Three months later, Child Protective Services opened a new case involving the Rimers involving the child who had lice. The complaint involved allegations that he was not being fed properly and had poor hygiene.

Case worker Thandie Martin Bernal visited the home and talked to the boy and his older brother at the front door while waiting for their parents to return, she testified.

The boy denied the allegations and said he did take lunch to school, she said.

"He yelled at me that, you know, I do eat. He was upset that I was there," she testified.

When the parents arrived about 20 minutes later, Stanley Rimer confronted Bernal.

"He was angry with me for being there," she said. "He made comments about CPS harassing him. He questioned my qualifications."

Stanley Rimer refused to let Bernal into his house or talk to his children alone.

"I did not interview each child as I would normally conduct an investigation because the father wouldn’t allow it," she testified.

Based on her front door interview and observations of the boy, she closed the case in December 2005 after consulting with a supervisor.

"It did not appear that his care rose to the level of neglect substantial enough for our agency to intervene," Bernal told the grand jury. She went on to testify about the boy’s "own admission that he ate breakfast at home, took lunch to school and was fine and was rather upset that our agency was at his home questioning his care."

When a juror asked Bernal what criteria she used to close the case, she replied, "Things change often so I don’t know exactly which criteria we were using at that time."

Seven months later, a new complaint came to Child Protective Services involving neglect and physical abuse of the Rimer’s teenage daughter.

When case worker Brad Coffey visited the house in July 2006, Stanley Rimer told him the daughter had run away and was in a relationship that he didn’t approve of.

Stanley Rimer allowed Coffey only into the home’s foyer, and he didn’t let the worker talk to the children alone about how they were disciplined, including whether their father withheld food as punishment, Coffey testified.

"I asked them what happens when they get in trouble," Coffey said. "Whatever I was told was, you know, it wasn’t really credible. He would be standing right there."

Stanley Rimer and the children denied the allegations.

On a follow up visit, Stanley Rimer got angry at Coffey.

"The general tone was that we really had no right to be doing what we were doing, we were violating his rights," Coffey said.

The case was eventually closed, even though Coffey never talked to the daughter about the physical abuse allegations involving her, he testified.

The last case Child Protective Services received before Jason died came in February 2007.

Washington visited the home, but as in previous cases, Stanley Rimer did not allow her to talk with his children outside his presence.

He denied he spanked his children on bare buttocks, but he did admit to giving them only two pieces of bread and milk as punishment if they didn’t do their chores or misbehaved, Washington testified.

"He was adamant that he was going to do what he wanted to do, and I think that’s when he really got upset," she said.

A couple of weeks later, Washington talked to one of the Rimers’ sons at his elementary school after her supervisors said her investigation at the house was unacceptable. The boy, now 9, told her his parents sometimes did not cook for the children and left them to fend for themselves to find dinner.

She also interviewed an older son, now 14, at his school. He told her his dad called him the devil, his mom called him a derogatory name, and at times his father spanked him so hard that he couldn’t sit, Washington said.

The school visits prompted an irate Stanley Rimer to call her supervisors, she said.

In a follow-up visit at the Rimer house, Washington explained child abuse laws to the parents and what was appropriate discipline, then she closed the case after consulting with her supervisor.

A juror asked her what the criteria were for closing a case when a family doesn’t follow her recommendations.

"It wasn’t clear with CPS. You know, I don’t know," Washington replied. "Basically I spoke to a supervisor who told me how to close it and when to close it, and I closed it."

Christine Skorupski, spokeswoman for the Department of Family Services, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

But in a recent court hearing, she said that the department finished an internal case audit for Jason’s death the first week of July.

The audit, routinely performed whenever a child dies, will not be made public because it contains sensitive case information about the family, she said.

Skorupski wouldn’t say at the hearing whether the audit prompted any policy changes at the department. But she said the department, because of broad policy reviews, is changing the way it handles multiple complaints about a family.

Contact reporter Brian Haynes at bhaynes@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0281. Contact reporter David Kihara at dkihara@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-1039.

Clark County Schools announce random searches
Clark County School District middle and high school students will be subject to random searches for weapons under a new initiative to combat the wave of guns found on campus. (Amelia Pak-Harvey/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss React to Dennis Hof's Death
Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss speak about their friend and prominent brothel owner Dennis Hof's death at Dennis Hof's Love Ranch. (Benjamin Hager/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof has died
Nevada brothel owner and Republican candidate for Nevada State Assembly District 36, Dennis Hof has died. He was 72. Nye County Sherriff's office confirmed. Hof owned Love Ranch brothel, located in Crystal, Nevada.
Las Vegas police investigate suspicious package at shopping center
Las Vegas police evacuated a southeast valley shopping center at Flamingo and Sandhill roads early Tuesday morning while they investigated reports of a suspicious package. (Max Michor/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
The Las Vegas Metro hosts the K-9 Trials
The Las Vegas Metro K-9 Trials returns to the Orleans Arena to benefit the Friends For Las Vegas Police K-9 group.
Kingman residents love their little town
Residents of Kingman, Ariz. talk about how they ended up living in the Route 66 town, and what they love about their quiet community. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Service at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Twelve unclaimed veterans are honored at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City in Oct. 9, 2018. (Briana Erickson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas house prices reach highest level in 11 years
Las Vegas house prices are rising But so is the amount of available homes on the market Still, properties priced below $300,000 are selling fast And September was the first time since June 2007 that the median house price reached the $300,000 mark Las Vegas home prices have been rising at one of the fastest rates in the country over the past year Recent data show the market is now less affordable than the national average
National Night Out
About 100 Summerlin residents gathered at Park Centre Dr. in Summerlin on Tuesday for National Night Out. Lt. Joshua Bitsko with Las Vegas Metro, played with 3-year-old David who was dressed as a police officer. Face painting, fire truck tours and more kept kids busy as parents roamed behind them. (Mia Sims/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Rural homeless issue comes to a head in Pahrump
On Sept. 12, Pahrump sheriff deputies told residents of a homeless encampment on private property that they had 15 minutes to vacate and grab their belongings. That decision might face some legal consequences. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance blood drive on October 1
A blood drive was held at the Las Vegas Convention Center on the one year anniversary of the Oct. 1 shooting. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance Lights memorial unveiled at St. Rose hospital
A dedication ceremony was held at St. Rose to unveil a memorial and to read the names of those who died on October 1, a year ago. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive Remembrance Wall
(Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive
Vitalent hosts a blood drive at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018, the first anniversary of the Las Vegas shootings. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October sunrise remembrance ceremony in Las Vegas
Myanda Smith, sister of Las Vegas shooting victim Neysa Tonks, speaks at the sunrise remembrance ceremony at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Chitose Suzuki/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
‪Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to crowd at Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬
‪Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to the crowd at the Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Michael Quine/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Father of Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim talks about college scholarship in his daughter's memory
Chris Davis, father of a Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim, Neysa Tonks, talks about a college scholarship in his daughter's memory to assist the children of those who died in the shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Oct. 1 survivor Malinda Baldridge talks about life after the shooting
Malinda Baldridge of Reno attended the Route 91 Harvest festival with her daughter, Breanna, 17, and was shot twice in the leg when the gunman fired on the crowd.
Route 91 survivor talks about lack of progress in gun legislation
Heather Gooze, a Route 91 survivor, talks about lack of progress in gun legislation since the Oct 1. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas/Review-Journal) @reviewjournal
Review held in death of man after encounter with Las Vegas police
The mother of Tashii Brown, who died after an encounter with Las Vegas police on the Strip, not satisfied after public review of evidence. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Clark County Museum opening "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials"
The Clark County Museum is opening an exhibit "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials" of items left to honor the victims killed in the Route 91 Harvest festival shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Memorial service for former RJ lawyer Mark Hinueber
Mark Hinueber, the Review-Journal's former lawyer and defender of the First Amendment, died in Las Vegas on Aug. 23. Hinueber, who was 66, worked at the RJ and other newspapers for 42 years. On Saturday, his friends and family gathered for a memorial service.
Army veteran honored in Henderson event
Army Sgt. Adam Poppenhouse was honored by fellow veterans in an event hosted by a One Hero at a Time at the Henderson Events Center.
Michelle Obama and Keegan-Michael Key urge Nevadans to vote
Former first lady Michelle Obama and comedian Keegan-Michael Key urged Nevadans to vote at Chaparral High School in Las Vegas Sunday, Sep. 23, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
1 dead, 1 wounded in North Las Vegas standoff
A woman was hospitalized with serious injuries on Thursday morning after being shot inside a North Las Vegas house. Police responded about 11 p.m. to a shooting at a home on the 5600 block of Tropic Breeze Street, near Ann Road and Bruce Street. The wounded woman, police believe, was shot by a man, who later barricaded himself inside the house. SWAT was called to assist, and when officers entered the house, they discovered the man dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Las Vegas Teen Makes Clothing Resale His Side Hustle
Las Vegas resident Reanu Elises, 18, started buying and selling streetwear online when he was a high school junior. Like many other young adults, the world of online resale applications like Depop and Mercari have made selling clothing online for a profit easy. Now, Elises spends his free time at thrift shops looking for rare and vintage clothing he can list on his on his shop. Now in his freshman year at UNLV as a business marketing major, Elises hopes to open a shop of his own one day and start his own clothing brand. He estimates that he's made about $1000 from just thrifted finds in the past year, which he'll use to buy more thrift clothing and help pay for expenses in college. (Madelyn Reese/ Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Fruition Vineyards Encourages Young Entrepreneurs to "Buy, Flip, Dream"
Once a month, young adults gather at Fruition Vineyards on South Maryland Parkway near UNLV to dig through a stack of rare, vintage and designer clothing that's marked down well below it's resale value. Shop founder Valerie Julian began the vent, dubbed "Fruition Vineyards" in August after running her streetwear shop since 2005. The event gives young entrepreneurs the opportunity to "buy, flip, dream" according to Jean. Meaning that they're encouraged to buy the clothing for sale and find a way to resell it for a profit, then reinvest that into whatever dream they pursue: college, a hobby or their own resale business. Shoppers lined up starting an hour before noon on the last Saturday in April for the opportunity and spoke about what they hoped to do with their finds and profits. (Madelyn Reese/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Local man goes under cover searching for answers to homelessness
Licensed mental health therapist Sheldon Jacobs spent 48 hours under cover posing as a homeless man in an attempt to gain perspective on the complex issue.
Social Work UNLV Lecturer's Calling
Ivet Aldaba-Valera was the first person in her family to graduate from both high school and college. The 33-year-old UNLV lecturer is now pursuing her Ph. D in public policy at the school and has used her degree in social work to engage with the young Latino and Latina community of Las Vegas. (Madelyn Reese/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like