June 10, 2015 - 3:18 am
(BPT) – When the weather’s this nice, it seems cruel to stay inside. With this in mind, more and more people are turning their outdoor spaces into an extension of their home by making upgrades that improve the space and increase their enjoyment. If you’re sick of staring longingly out the window and want to enjoy your own section of the great outdoors, here are five projects sure to reinvent your outdoor space.
* Get planting: New landscape additions are an inexpensive way to make a big change in your outdoor space. Upgrade your yard’s scenic beauty by planting perennials or filling the air with the wonderful smell of new lilacs. Planting a fast-growing tree like a maple can create shade for your future events, and evergreen trees or thick bushes are beautiful options for homeowners looking to increase their privacy and create a more intimate feel.
* Fire up: A fireplace is truly the heart of a home – and you can recreate that feeling in your outdoor spaces as well with a wood-burning or gas fireplace. Outdoor living areas are the most requested special-function room, according to the American Institute of Architects, so adding an outdoor fireplace is an increasingly popular trend for homeowners. Wood-burning fireplaces like the Castlewood, part of the outdoor lifestyles collection from Heatilator, make entertaining easy by providing warmth, light, and ambiance so guests can enjoy outdoor living spaces even on cool days and nights, while the Twilight Modern gas fireplace is a low-maintenance option that doesn’t require you to haul wood and has the added convenience of turning on with just the flip of a switch. For more information and help choosing the outdoor fireplace that’s right for you, visit www.Heatilator.com.
* Plan your patio: A patio is a great space for outdoor entertaining. If you don’t have one already, pouring a concrete patio is easy and relatively inexpensive, and if you want to take your project to the next level, concrete pavers are available in several shapes, styles and colors and allow you to customize and create a look that suits you. You can also expand upon your creativity by using the pavers to create a pathway from the patio to your deck or home, tying the look together.
* Dive in. Looking to boost the visual appeal of your outdoor space while adding enjoyment? Consider a water feature. Installing an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool will be a hit with kids and large groups while a hot tub may be more relaxing and adult-friendly. And if you don’t plan to get in the water yourself, koi ponds or fountains can add a unique element to your outdoor space.
* Go digital: We live in a digital age in which many people feel confined to spaces where they get the best service. Make your outdoor space one of them with wireless Wi-Fi antennas or an all-weather outdoor television. You can also install wireless speakers to ensure that any outdoor event has the right music to create a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
These warm-weather months are meant to be enjoyed, so what are you waiting for? Start reinventing your outdoor space today and don’t waste another moment sitting behind your window.