5 tips for a satisfying spring cleaning
March 22, 2016 - 3:06 am
(BPT) – Of the many projects and activities people put on their annual to-do lists, few loom as large as spring cleaning. If you suddenly feel a burst of energy and a need to shake out the dreariness of winter, you’re not alone. While it may seem like a chore, many look forward to spring cleaning, and with good reason. It’s a time to open up your home, let in the fresh air and get it ready for the warmer months.
To help you get the most out of your spring cleaning, here are five essential and unexpected tips to make your home blossom this spring.
1. Make a game out of it. Get your kids to help out by turning work into a game. For instance, in the yard, you can have them compete to collect the most sticks. And if they love banging on pots and pans, they’ll be great helpers when it comes to shaking out rugs or upholstered furniture that need some tough love.
2. Let in the fresh air. Naturally, you’ll throw open some windows to let in the fresh air, but to really chase out the odors that have accumulated after months of being closed in, you need to do more. To make your home smell fresh, boil water with two tablespoons of baking soda and a lemon peel for a serious odor-fighting solution.
3. Change your light bulbs. An easy way to spruce up your home is by brightening it up with new lighting. Replacing old bulbs in every room with energy efficient Philips LED A19 bulbs will not only save you money on your energy bills, but will help create a comfortable and relaxing environment in your home. With LEDs lasting ten years, this is one task you can cross off your list for years to come.
4. Wax on, wax off. As a matter of routine, we dust, sweep, mop and scrub around the house, but too often forget to wax wooden furniture. Not only does waxing add a shine to wood, it gives it an added layer of protection and increases its longevity.
5. Get rid of all that clutter. A lot can accumulate over the course of those winter months: unused gifts from the holidays, old and worn winter clothes, and maybe even a damaged sled or two. Your first impulse might be to hang on to this stuff or just find more storage space, but be bold and get rid of it! Whether you kick these items to the curb or donate them locally, having a clutter-free house heading into the summer months is an unbelievable feeling.
There are few things as satisfying as a good spring cleaning, and once you’re finished, you might be exhausted, but both you and your home will feel rejuvenated. And with 4-packs of Philips LED A19 bulbs now available at The Home Depot for just $9.97, there’s never been a more affordable time to transform your home into a clean, efficient and comfortable place, filled with the liveliness and fresh smells of the season.