Basic High baseball coach David Gallegos expected his team to be competitive on its home field Thursday night, but he didn’t anticipate such an easy win.
The Wolves used strong pitching and a big third inning to beat Hillcrest (Utah) 10-0 in five innings in the Del Sol Dragons Invitational.
“Our guys had to be real disciplined tonight,” said Gallegos, whose squad beat Canyon Springs 11-2 in its early game. “(Hillcrest) is a disciplined team, so you can’t give them a chance.”
Wolves starter Brett Wellman barely allowed the Huskies any chances. He struck out seven while holding Hillcrest to one hit in four innings and worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the third.
“Brett is one of our strongest pitchers,” said the coach, who noted that Wellman lost a heartbreaker to Cimarron-Memorial last week. “And he was due for a good performance.”
Gallegos’ hitters, meanwhile, went on the attack early. After scoring one run in the second inning, the Wolves added six in the third with the help of a two-run single by Brandon Blake and an RBI double by Marcus Romero.
Basic’s Michael Schulte drove in two more runs with a double in the fourth inning, and teammate Mike Feher came on in relief to put the Huskies down in order in the fifth inning.
Feher went 2-for-4 with two RBIs on the night, and Schulte was 2-for-2 with two walks.
Kelton Wilde had Hillcrest’s only hit, a single in the third inning.
• Basic 11, Canyon Springs 2 — At Basic, John Anderson was 2-for-3, stole home, had three RBIs and scored three runs to lead the Wolves.
Brandon Kuewa was 2-for-2 with a double, two RBIs and two runs for Basic, and starter Cody Brady allowed no earned runs in four innings with six strikeouts to get the win.
• Chaparral 10, Mojave 0 — At Chaparral, Jacob Dahlman pitched a two-hitter to help the Cowboys win in five innings.
Dahlman struck out six and walked one. Isaiah Washington was 3-for-3 with a triple, two stolen bases and three RBIs for Chaparral.
• Clark 12, Canyon Springs 2 — At Basic, Tom Hoag was 4-for-5 with three runs and went the distance to earn the pitching victory for the Chargers.
Hoag allowed one earned run on four hits in six innings. He struck out seven and walked one.
Manny Estrada and Anthony Risolio each went 3-for-3 for Clark, which had 16 singles. Estrada had three runs and four stolen bases, and Risolio scored five runs and had four stolen bases.
• Pahrump Valley 6, Del Sol 3 — At Del Sol, Danny Cazier allowed one earned run on two hits in four innings to lead the Trojans over the Dragons.
Cazier struck out eight and walked none.
CALVARY CHAPEL BASH
• Eldorado 10, Olympus (Utah) 3 — At Eldorado, Manuel Estrada was 3-for-4 with two RBIs to lift the Sundevils.
Ryan Taylor was 2-for-4 with a double and two runs for Eldorado.
• Jordan (Utah) 7, Rancho 5 — At College of Southern Nevada, Kelton Caldwell’s three-run home run highlighted a six-run fifth for Jordan.
Lance Eliason was 2-for-3 with an RBI for the Rams.
• Alta (Utah) 10, Coronado 9 — At Cimarron-Memorial, the Hawks scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth to beat the Cougars.
Andrew Gans’ two-run single in the top of the eighth helped Coronado take a 9-6 lead. The Cougars rallied for four runs in the top of the seventh to force the extra inning. Tim Arthur and Ty Wagonseller each had two-run homers in the seventh for Coronado.
Arthur finished 4-for-5 with two doubles and two RBIs, and Gans was 3-for-5 with four RBIs.
• Mater Dei (Calif.) 5, Cimarron-Memorial 0 — At Cimarron-Memorial, Emmanuel Gutierrez pitched a one-hitter with six strikeouts to lead the Crusaders over the Spartans.
• Poly (Calif.) 7, Liberty 4 — At Eldorado, Oscar Soriano’s two-run double in the sixth broke open the game.
• Liberty 10, Olympus (Utah) 0 — At Eldorado, Seth Wieman pitched a two-hitter with four strikeouts and Travis Fryman was 2-for-2 with a double and two RBIs to lead the Patriots.
• Bishop Gorman 8, Rocky Mountain (Colo.) 0 — At Scottsdale, Ariz., John Rickard, Brandon Garcia and Paul Sewald hit consecutive homers in the first inning as the Gaels won the Cleats National Invitational.
Rickard homered twice, and Jeff Malm pitched a four-hitter. Malm struck out 11, walked none and added a home run.
• Bishop Gorman 9, Hamilton (Ariz.) 7 — At Scottsdale, Ariz., Joey Rickard was 3-for-4 with a double, a home run and three RBIs to lead the Gaels into the championship game of the Cleats National Invitational.
Sewald added a three-run homer in Gorman’s five-run sixth inning.
• Green Valley 4, Valhalla (Calif.) 3 — At El Cajon, Calif., Matt Harrison’s two-run double in the bottom of the seventh gave the Gators the win at the Lions Tournament.
Brett Harrison was 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI, and Tyler Blair and Kyle Larimer each went 2-for-3 with a double.
• Shadow Ridge 8, Patrick Henry (Calif.) 4 — At San Diego, Dustin Hobbs was 2-for-4 with a double and a home run and Zach Custer was 3-for-4 with two runs to lead the Mustangs in the Lions Tournament.
• Mira Mesa (Calif.) 6, Silverado 3 — At El Cajon, Calif., Darell Erese homered to lead the Marauders over the Skyhawks in the Lions Tournament.
• Hilltop (Calif.) 8, Foothill 1 — At Chula Vista, Calif., Hilltop limited Foothill to four hits, and the Falcons committed nine errors in the loss.