Evan Roquemore had carried Foothill early in the season, averaging 25.8 points and leading the Falcons in scoring in each of their first five games.
Roquemore had an off game Thursday in the Bishop Gorman Holiday Classic, but it didn’t matter as Foothill showed off its depth in an 84-73 victory over Richwood (La.) at Gorman.
"Teams are going to start keying on Evan, and this is a team sport," Foothill coach Kevin Soares said. "You can’t rely on one guy to win games for you. Tonight, other guys stepped up, and it was great."
The Falcons had four players score in double figures, with sophomore Greg Cox and freshman Brannon Cressanto combining to hit 10 3-pointers and score 34 points.
Cox was 6-for-9 from 3-point range and finished with a team-high 20 points.
"Our two young guys, it’s just great for their confidence," Soares said. "I’m glad they got the opportunity to get some good looks. They can shoot, that’s for sure."
Cox hit five 3-pointers in the second half, including three in a 52-second span that gave the Falcons a 64-50 lead.
Foothill also got some help inside from 6-foot-6-inch junior Zac Ginter and 6-7 junior Augy French.
Ginter had 17 points and five rebounds, and French helped out in the first half with four rebounds and two blocked shots.
Roquemore added 15 points and five assists but shot 4-for-13.
The win over Richwood was the first of two games Thursday for the Falcons, who beat Tech 65-52 in a Southeast League game that night.
In all, the Falcons (7-0) will play seven games in a span of five days this week.
Contact reporter Damon Seiters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-380-4587.In-depth high school sports coverage
• Faith Lutheran’s Brett Lubbe had 33 points and 15 rebounds in a 70-57 win over Mount Miguel (Calif.) in the Bishop Gorman Holiday Classic.
• Cheyenne’s Chris McCall sank eight 3-pointers and had 30 points in an 86-46 rout of visiting Shadow Ridge.
• Cimarron-Memorial’s Kevin Olekaibe had 46 points in a 77-69 loss at Arbor View.
• Cheyenne’s Taryn Hicks had 18 points, 14 rebounds and five assists in a 72-35 home win over Shadow Ridge.
• Arbor View’s Jena Valenzuela had 19 points and 10 rebounds in a 55-33 victory over visiting Cimarron.
• Green Valley’s Shavon Stevens had 11 points and eight steals in a 76-34 rout of visiting Coronado.