LOGAN, Utah — Matt Asiata ran for three touchdowns, Brian Johnson threw for two more and No. 22 Utah blasted Utah State 58-10 on Saturday night.
After a lackluster second half in their win at Michigan and a sputtering first half last week against UNLV, the Utes were looking for a quality performance from start to finish.
The Utes (3-0) overcame mistakes early in each half to dominate their neighbors to the north and claim their 11th consecutive victory in the series.
Utah’s 58 points were the most they have scored since twice racking up 63 points in their undefeated 2004 BCS-busting campaign.
Johnson completed 22 of 31 passes for 204 yards before sitting out most of the fourth quarter. The Utes combined an effective rushing attack with a short passing game to wear down the overmatched Aggies (0-3).
The Utes outgained Utah State 445-116 and nearly doubled their opponents in time of possession.
• New Mexico 36, Arizona 28 — At Albuquerque, N.M., Rodney Ferguson ran for 158 yards and two touchdowns and freshman James Aho tied a school record with five field goals to help the Lobos beat the Wildcats.
Ferguson, a bruising tailback, also tossed a 25-yard trick-play scoring pass to quarterback Donovan Porterie as the Lobos (1-2) beat mistake-prone Arizona (2-1) for the second straight year.
• Texas Christian 31, Stanford 14 — At Fort Worth, Texas, Ryan Christian scored the go-ahead touchdown and Steven Coleman made a key interception to help the Horned Frogs beat the Cardinal (1-2) in a game moved up six hours because of Hurricane Ike.
Christian, who rushed for 82 yards on 19 carries, gave TCU (3-0) the lead for good on a 1-yard scoring run with six minutes left in the third quarter.
• Air Force 31, Houston 28 — At Dallas, quarterback Shea Smith ran for 97 yards and three touchdowns, and the Falcons finished with 380 rushing yards to beat the Cougars (1-2) in a game moved from Houston because of Hurricane Ike.
Smith scored on runs of 2 yards, 1 yard and 6 yards, and Kyle Lumpkin added 76 rushing yards for Air Force (3-0), which ran the ball 71 times and passed only seven — without one completion.
• Wyoming 16, North Dakota State 13 — At Laramie, Wyo., Jake Scott kicked a 29-yard field goal with four seconds left to lift the Cowboys (2-1) over the Bison (2-1), who led 13-0 at one point in the second half.
Scott’s field goal was set up by Derrick McMahen’s interception of a pass by North Dakota State quarterback Nick Mertens.
• San Jose State 28, San Diego State 10 — At San Jose, Calif., Kyle Reed scored three touchdowns and completed his first 12 passes as the Spartans beat the Aztecs.
Yonus Davis rushed for 143 yards and a touchdown as the Spartans (2-1) won at home for the 14th time in 16 games. Reed finished 20-for-25 for 178 yards and an interception. David Richmond caught eight passes for 83 yards.
Freshman quarterback Ryan Lindley was held to 140 passing yards and was sacked four times as the Aztecs (0-3) lost their second straight to San Jose State.