ENTERTAINMENT: ‘Caveman’ finds a castle
November 20, 2008 - 1:47 pm
“Defending the Caveman,” the one-man comic play performed by Kevin Burke, will have a new home at the Excalibur, at least for what’s dubbed a “limited engagement” from Dec. 16 through Jan. 11.
It previously had been determined that “Caveman” would leave the Golden Nugget Dec. 4; the Nugget is hosting a full slate of National Finals Rodeo concert acts, which includes the slam-dunk booking of Miranda Lambert.
“Caveman” has to wait until Excalibur comedian Louie Anderson goes on vacation, but will then hold down his 7 p.m. slot until January, when casino management and producer Adam Steck — who presents both Anderson and “Thunder from Down Under” in the same room — will have to sort out who stays, who goes and whether one of them ends up as an afternoon show.
John Bentham, local producer of “Caveman,” says the title already pulls a lot of ticket-buyers from the Excalibur and connected properties, and he thinks the show is a good fit with the G-string “Thunder” revue. “A lot of bachelorette groups come see us at the Nugget already,” he says.
The Nugget has announced its “Caveman” replacement, impressionist Gordie Brown, will open Feb. 5. Tickets went on sale today with five price tiers — which may be a record for a 600-seat theater. The price breaks for online orders (rounding up by a nickel) are $44, $55, $66, $88 and $110 for the VIP package with a meet-and-greet.