IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
- Members of the Winchester Skate Team are scheduled to open their annual art show with a reception scheduled from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 29 at the Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 S. McLeod Drive. This year’s show features work created for the Good Games, an annual skate competition and festival. The show is slated to remain on display through Aug. 8. Visit clarkcountynv.gov.
- Summer Movies in the Park are scheduled at 9 p.m. on Thursdays at the Downtown Container Park, 707 Fremont St. “Nacho Libre” is scheduled for July 24 and “Napoleon Dynamite” is scheduled July 31. Admission is limited to adults 21 or older. Visit downtowncontainerpark.com.
- A free summer movie series screening of “The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” is set for sundown July 24 at the Green at Town Square Las Vegas, 6605 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Family films are set to be screened Thursdays through Aug. 21. Next up is “Free Birds,” set to be screened July 31. Visit mytownsquarelasvegas.com or call 702-269-5000.
- Gregg Peterson is scheduled to perform at 8 p.m. July 24 and 9 p.m. July 25-27 at Arizona Charlie’s Boulder, 4575 Boulder Highway. Visit arizonacharliesboulder.com or call 702-951-5800.
- Pioneer Settlement Day is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 24 at the Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort, 500 E. Washington Ave. The event is set to include pioneer craft demonstrations and root beer floats for sale. Visit friendsofthefort.org or call 702-486-3511.
- The Dive In movie series is scheduled to continue with a double feature screening of “Space Jam” at 7 p.m. and “Coach Carter” at 9:30 p.m. July 28 on the marquee at the Boulevard Pool at The Cosmopolitan, 6605 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Admission is $5. Double features are set to be screened Mondays through Aug. 21. Visit cosmopolitanlasvegas.com or call 702-698-7000.
- The musical “Cabaret” is scheduled at 8 p.m. July 24-26, 31 and Aug. 1-2 and 2 p.m. July 27 and Aug. 3 at the Onyx Theatre, 953-16B E. Sahara Ave. Tickets are $24 or $19 for students, seniors and military members. Visit onyxtheatre.com or call 702-732-7225.
- Registration is open through Aug. 30 for city of Las Vegas classes scheduled between Sept. 3 and Oct. 11 at the West Las Vegas Arts Center, 947 W. Lake Mead Blvd. Classes include African dance for children, tap, video and documentary creation. Visit artslasvegas.org or call 702-229-4800.
- As part of the Tuesday Afternoon at the Bijou: Happy Birthday, Norma Jean! series, the 1961 film “The Misfits” is set to be screened at 1 p.m. July 29 at the Clark County Library, 1401 E. Flamingo Road. Visit lvccld.org or call 702-507-3400.
- “Why Masterworks,” an invitational group show with each piece focusing on different principles of art, is scheduled to be displayed through Aug. 23 at the Historic Fifth Street School, 401 S. Fourth St. Viewings are by appointment. Visit artslasvegas.org, or call 702-229-1012.
- Winning entries in the “Celebrating Life!” art competition for seniors 50 or older are scheduled to be on display through Sept. 11 at Las Vegas City Hall, 495 S. Main St. Visit artslasvegas.org or call 702-229-1012.
- “Harmony of Balance,” an exhibition of clay works by Yaffa Cary, is scheduled to be on display through Sept. 17 at Las Vegas City Hall, 495 S. Main St. An artist reception is scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. July 24. Visit artslasvegas.org or call 702-229-1012.
- Luis Vargas is set to direct Luis Visentin’s Spanish-language comedy “Ella, mi amante y mi senora” at 7 p.m. July 26 at the Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 S. McLeod Drive. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Visit clarkcountynv.gov or call 702-455-7340.
- Entertainment and vendors are part of the plan for Dress for Success Southern Nevada’s third annual Power Walk, scheduled at 8 a.m. July 26 at the Miracle Miles Shops at Planet Hollywood, 3663 S. Las Vegas Blvd. Registration is $40. Visit dressforsuccesssouthernevada.org.
- The Bluebirds Quilt Circle meets from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at the Parkdale Senior Center, 3200 Ferndale St. Participation is free with center membership. The center also offers free clubs for crocheting, knitting and quilting from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays; for painting from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursdays; for quilting from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Fridays and for Wood Carving from 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays. Visit clarkcountynv.gov or call 702-455-8502.
- The North Las Vegas Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is planning a two-day version of its an annual Pioneer Day celebration, set for 6 p.m. July 25 and 4 p.m. July 26 at Ray Stephenson Park, 2295 N. Walnut Road, next to the church on the corner of Walnut Road and Carey Avenue. Tickets for the dinner, games and rides can be purchased at the park. The event is open to the public. Email Lance Spindler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society invites singers to perform masterworks with its 65-voice Musical Arts Chorus & Orchestra. There are also openings in the 20-voice Musical Arts Singers choral ensemble. An audition is required for membership in either ensemble. Call Dr. Douglas R. Peterson at 702-451-6672 for an audition appointment. Visit snmas.com.
WORTH A DRIVE
- Clark County’s annual Cardboard Boat Regatta is slated for 5 to 8 p.m. July 25 at the Desert Breeze Aquatic Facility, 8275 Spring Mountain Road. Participants can build a boat using cardboard and duct tape. All boats must be registered by July 23. Night swimming and boat registration is set to begin at 5 p.m., with races starting at 7 p.m. Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for children 3 to 17 and $1 for seniors 55 or older. Children 2 or younger will be admitted free. Visit tinyurl.com/46pbo6w or call 702-455-7798.
- Super Summer Theatre plans to present “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” at 8:05 p.m. July 24-26 in the outdoor venue at Spring Mountain Ranch State Park, 6375 state Route 159, 10 miles west of Las Vegas. Advance tickets are $12.95 at tinyurl.com/o6xypqa. A limited number of tickets are available at the gate for $20. Visit supersummertheatre.org.
- The Las Vegas Little Theatre, 3920 Schiff Drive, plans performances of the musical “Really Rosie” through July 27. Shows are scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $25. Visit lvlt.org.
- The Outdoor Picture Show on the Green is scheduled to show “Free Birds” at 8 p.m. July 26 at The District at Green Valley Ranch, 2225 Village Walk Drive. Screenings are scheduled through Oct. 25. Upcoming shows scheduled include: Aug. 2, “Despicable Me;” Aug. 9, “Despicable Me 2;” Aug. 16, “E.T.;” and Aug. 23, “The Nut Job.” Visit shopthedistrictgvr.com/outdoorPicShow.php.
- Elixir, 2920 N. Green Valley Parkway, is set to screen classic movies at midnight Mondays through August. The events are set to include free popcorn and $3 beers. Call 702-272-0000.
- The M Resort, 12300 Las Vegas Blvd. South, plans a night swim from 8 p.m. July 25 to 2 a.m. July 26. The event is set to include an open bar from 8 to 10 p.m. and live music. Admission is free for residents with Nevada IDs and limited to those 21 or older. Call 702-797-1000.
- Bahama Breeze is set to perform as part of the Lakeside Music series from 7 to 10 p.m. July 26 at The Village at Lake Las Vegas, 15 Strada di Villaggio. Admission is free. Visit lakeslasvegas.com.
- La Oportunidad EXPO is scheduled 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug 9 at the Cashman Center, 850 Las Vegas Blvd. North. The event, organized by the Latin Chamber of Commerce, is designed to foster business opportunities in the Hispanic community. Plans for the event include promotional opportunities for businesses, free immunizations for children, free backpacks for students, a real estate pavilion, new vehicles for purchase, entertainment and more. Admission is free. Visit lvlcc.com or call 702-385-7367.
- The 17th annual Advertising Community Talent Show is set for 6 p.m. Aug. 2 at the Chrome Showroom inside Santa Fe Station, 4949 N Rancho Drive. Hosted by 97.1 FM’s Steph McKenzie, 98.5 KLUC-FM’s Chet Buchanan, Channel 13’s Shawn Tempesta and Emmy Award-winning journalist Nina Radetich, the event is to feature acts from the Southern Nevada advertising and media community. All proceeds will benefit Safe Nest. Guests must be 21 years or older. Tickets are $25 for general admission. Visit sclv.com/concerts or actslv.org.