We’re all familiar with Mother’s Day. Father’s Day, too. We mark our calendars for the holidays, remind ourselves to get gifts, and always make the phone calls.
Both parents are covered with their own special days, but what about kids? The Springs Preserve introduces the community to a Latin holiday dedicated just to the little ones. The fourth annual Dia del Nino takes place Saturday with the kind of features and events catered to the guests of honor.
The Springs Preserve grounds will boast magicians, face painting, a petting zoo, supersized slide, bumper cars, hula hoops, potato sack races, a South American dog act, fair games and much more. Not only is it a way of tiring out the tykes, it’s also great for enriching cultural palettes.
“We wanted all kinds of events to appeal to all parts of our community,” says Angelica Quiroz-Maralson, Springs Preserve public information coordinator. “Dia del Nino is huge in Mexico. It’s a big holiday the schools hold for the children.”
According to Quiroz-Maralson, about 85 percent of the kids who have attended the event in past years are Latino, but the other 15 percent are getting exposed to a holiday they wouldn’t otherwise know anything about. There’s also an educational aspect to the event. Some sponsors will use the opportunity to teach kids about careers.
Wells Fargo, for instance, will show children the benefits of a career in banking, while Telemundo will have cameras set up, demonstrating how television reporters do their jobs.
Since there’s another Mexican holiday just around the corner, there will be a Mini Cinco de Mayo Fiesta at the Dia del Nino event. An all-children’s mariachi band will play music and folklorico dancers will perform.
This is just one event of many intended to broaden the public’s cultural horizons. Next month brings an Ohana Festival. There’s an Asian Moon Festival in September and Black History Month festivities in February.
Those events are intended for adults and children. Dia del Nino is focused entirely on the kids. They can eat the food prepared by a chef specializing in kids’ cuisine, make a kite and take it home with them, plant something and take it home with them, watch stilt-walking clowns, contortionists and fire jugglers. Anything and everything on this day was designed for the entertainment of children.
“It’s pretty much like Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, but it shows the importance of the children,” Quiroz-Maralson says. “It’s a day just for them.”
Contact Xazmin Garza at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-383-0477. Follow her on Twitter @startswithanx.