12th swine flu fatality occurs in Clark County

A 12th Clark County resident has died a swine-flu related death, the Southern Nevada Health District reported Tuesday.

The victim was a 31-year-old woman with no underlying health conditions, district spokeswoman Stephanie Bethel said. The woman's name was not released.

Another person, a 70-year-old New York woman who was ill before she arrived in Nevada, died in Clark County in June.

Bethel said there are patients hospitalized locally with severe illness related to the H1N1 flu.

The district reported that, as of Monday, it had administered 7,184 doses of the vaccine for the H1N1 flu. Bethel said 2,710 FluMist vaccines and 4,474 shots had been administered. Overall, the district has received 49,000 doses, about 20,000 of them the mist.

Bethel said that, starting today, the district will make the FluMist available at an express line for priority groups, including health care workers and emergency medical technicians with direct patient contact, children age 2 to 4, and caretakers and parents of children under 6-months-old.

Bethel said the express line is simply a way to make it easier for those in priority groups to get the vaccine without having to wait in line.

The express line will operate from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the district's offices, 625 Shadow Lane.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.