Fire injures one at boarded-up downtown building

A fire in a vacant downtown building early Friday injured one man, fire officials said.

The injured man, whose identity wasn’t released, was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Las Vegas Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said the cause of the fire was accidental.

Firefighters were called to the area of Fremont and 14th streets about 1 a.m. to investigate smoke in the area. They discovered black smoke coming out of a window at the boarded-up Fremont Assisted Living Center. A man was hanging out the window by his hands. He let go before firefighters could get to him, Szymanski said.

He described the man’s injuries as superficial burns and a possible fracture from the fall.

Firefighters helped three other people leave the building. None were injured.

This was the third fire since September in the building, where homeless people are known to take shelter.

Damage was estimated at $5,000.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.