Updated 

House fire that killed two caused by electrical problem


The house fire in northwest Las Vegas that killed two people earlier this month was caused by an electrical problem, according to fire officials.

Las Vegas Fire Department investigators believe the Aug. 8 fire started in the attic about 4 to 6 hours before it was discovered at 11:53 p.m. at 9209 Empire Rock St. near U.S. Highway 95 and Iron Mountain Road.

The two homeowners escaped through the front door, but suffered injuries. Their two houseguests from Memphis, Tenn., were unable to escape in time and died.

There was no smoke or odor and the smoke alarms were not active in 3,700-square-foot home, causing the occupants to be unaware of the fire in the attic, according to the Las Vegas Fire Department.

A portion of the attic that covered a patio caught fire and came crashing down. One of the occupants said everything on the patio was on fire.

The four occupants tried to evacuate as portions of the interior started to cave in. Only two made it out.

The fire quickly escalated and was raging through the roof by the time firefighters arrived on scene.

The damage was estimated at $350,000.

Contact Steven Slivka at sslivka@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0264. Follow him on Twitter @StevenSlivka.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.