Updated 

Man hospitalized, dog dies in Las Vegas house fire


A man is in the hospital and a dog is dead following a central valley house fire, the Las Vegas Fire Department said.

The call came in at 12:40 p.m. Wednesday about a fire at 332 Arnold St., near Rancho and Alta drives, the fire department said. There they found a one-story house with heavy damage and smoke.

When they arrived, firefighters found an elderly man on a crutch struggling to leave the house and helped him exit through the back door. He was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The fire, which Szymanski said was due to unattended grease cooking, was put out in about ten minutes. Rescuers found a dead dog, Szymanski said. The kitchen area was gutted and also burned parts of the living room and attic. The rest of the home was damaged by smoke.

Damage was estimated at $79,000 , Szymanski said.

Contact Ricardo Torres at rtorres@reviewjournal.com and 702-383-0381. Find him on Twitter: @rickytwrites.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or Stephens Media LLC. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.