Police report says UMC refused shot for man who later died

The man found dead outside University Medical Center last month was thrown out of the hospital after demanding a "highly narcotic shot" from doctors.

Hours later, he was found curled into a fetal position, lifeless, outside the northwest entrance to the hospital's trauma center.

Las Vegas police records obtained by the Review-Journal shed more light about the circumstances surrounding Jason King Forrester's Oct. 17 death.

But why the Irvine, Calif., man died - after twice being treated and released from the hospital - remains unclear.

The mystery began about 6 p.m. the day before, when Forrester, the 43-year-old owner of a California construction company, crashed his red Chevrolet Silverado pickup into a vehicle parked on the shoulder of an access road leading to Interstate 15, near the Las Vegas Beltway interchange.

What caused the crash is unclear. Forrester was not believed to have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash; he passed a field sobriety test.

But both he and the person in the parked vehicle suffered injuries significant enough to send them to UMC.

A police report said Forrester arrived at the hospital "disoriented and confused as to what happened."

While being treated, he demanded a "highly narcotic shot," but doctors didn't give it to him because of his belligerent behavior, the report said.

Doctors treated him, then removed him from the hospital.

He returned later for treatment of another injury - the report doesn't specify the injury - and again demanded the shot. Doctors treated him but again refused him the shot, "due to his behavior," the report said.

Forrester's next encounter with hospital staff came roughly 12 hours after his crash, when an employee arriving to work the day shift found him curled up at the employee entrance to the trauma center.

Medical staff were called, and they found that Forrester, wearing a purple shirt and black pants, had no pulse. One staffer turned over his body and noticed lividity, indicating that blood had started to pool within the body.

Police went to the scene, but detectives have not yet opened an investigation. Their decision hinges on a ruling from the Clark County coroner's office, which is waiting for the results of a toxicology screening and other tests to determine the cause of death.

If the coroner's office rules the death a homicide or says Forrester didn't die of natural causes, police probably will investigate.

Hospital officials have started their own investigation to find out whether staff properly handled Forrester's situation.

A spokeswoman said last week that they are waiting for the coroner's report before completing the investigation.

Forrester's grieving family is waiting for a resolution.

"Friends and family are just looking for answers," his brother, Nathan, said last week.

Jason Forrester, a recovering alcoholic, was a sponsor for many in Alcoholics Anonymous, and his brother believes he was in Las Vegas for six days staying with a friend he sponsored.

Nathan Forrester said that his family has met with police and hospital officials and that both parties treated them respectfully.

He hopes hospital surveillance video can shed some light on what happened.

There are other strange things about that night, Nathan Forrester said. His brother's cellphone was found, broken, about 100 yards away from where he died. And in his pocket was a patient advocate form, typically used to designate someone else to make decisions about a person's health issues.

"Obviously he was not happy with what (care) he received," he said.

Services were held in California on Oct. 27, and Nathan Forrester said going through his brother's personal items has been painful.

"It's still a struggle," he said.

Contact reporter Lawrence Mower at lmower@reviewjournal.com or 702-405-9781.