Northbound 1-15 lanes remain closed after fatal crash involving taxicab

The northbound lanes of Interstate 15 were shut down Friday night while Nevada Highway Patrol troopers investigated a fatal accident involving a taxicab.

Trooper Joseph Fackrell said a car rear-ended the cab near Sahara Avenue. The taxicab caught fire, and a 62-year-old Michigan man was killed. Three others, including the driver, were in the cab, and they were transported to University Medical Center with nonlife-threatening injuries, Fackrell said.

A preliminary investigation has revealed that none of the people in the cab was wearing seat belts, Fackrell said.

Traffic had been backing up on the freeway for a different accident, Fackrell said. The cab braked, but the passenger car didn't stop in time.

The freeway was expected to be closed for several hours, Fackrell said.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.