Is the legal dream team still available? O.J. Simpson might need it.
The hall of fame running back, who beat a double-murder rap more than a decade ago, was at the center of an armed robbery investigation in Las Vegas Friday after two memorabilia collectors said Simpson and a group of men robbed them at gunpoint.
One of the collectors was Bruce Fromong of North Las Vegas, a former Simpson business partner who had hoped to sell some memorabilia that included items signed by Simpson and other sports stars such as Joe Montana.
Fromong said he expected a potential buyer to walk into a Palace Station hotel room when Simpson and several other men entered instead. One of the men stuck a gun in his face.
"I kept looking at O.J. thinking, 'How stupid can you be, Juice?' " Fromong said. "If I was going to do something like that, I'd be sitting out in the parking lot and letting my guys take care of it. How stupid can you be. ... You've got enough trouble. You're O.J. Simpson, for God's sake."
Simpson left with more than $75,000 in sports memorabilia, Fromong said.
Simpson told The Associated Press he took the memorabilia, but only because it had been stolen from him.
"We didn't break into any room. There was no armed robbery," the 60-year-old Heisman Trophy winner said. "Nobody was roughed up. What I can't understand is these guys are in a room trying to fence stolen goods and I'm the story."
But a source close to the investigation said Simpson's entourage was armed and took the memorabilia by force.
"We do believe a robbery occurred, and O.J. was part of it," the source said. "He went there with goons who were armed."
'Show and tell'
killer to go free
Las Vegas "show and tell" killer Sandy Shaw was granted parole by the state Parole Board.
The 36-year-old is scheduled to be released Dec. 17 from the Southern Nevada Women's Correctional Center in North Las Vegas.
Shaw will be let out of prison more than 21 years after she and two teenage accomplices, Troy Kell and William Merritt, killed James Cotton Kelly, 21. Shaw was a 15-year-old Rancho High School student at the time of the killing.
Shaw lured Kelly into the desert, where he was robbed of $1,400 and shot six times in the face.
A Clark County prosecutor has formally entered the race against Republican Rep. Jon Porter for the suburban Las Vegas congressional district that is expected to be one of the most competitive in the country next year, the Review-Journal reported.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Robert Daskas, 40, will be the favored Democratic candidate in a race the Democratic Party plans to target intensively.
"Because of the overwhelming encouragement (to run), and particularly because of the donations I received, I feel I am legally obligated to file my intent to become a candidate," he said.
Two unions authorize strike
About 99 percent of the 8,000 members of Culinary Local 226 and Bartenders Local 165 who voted authorized a strike or other labor action if they can't negotiate new contracts with 16 employers, including most casinos in downtown Las Vegas, the Las Vegas Hilton and the Tropicana.
The vote was the union's second display of its bargaining strength in two weeks. The first was the announcement Sept. 4 of an $80 million fund to pay workers if they strike.
Justices question judge's suspension
State Supreme Court justices questioned the fairness of the Judicial Discipline Commission's decision to temporarily suspend District Judge Elizabeth Halverson because charges to remove her permanently had yet to be filed.
"Why, as of today, have no formal charges been filed?" Justice Jim Hardesty asked Dorothy Nash Holmes, the commission's lawyer. "It does seem unfair."
Hardesty's comments came during an hour-long oral argument hearing in which Halverson's lawyers challenged the suspension and sought her reinstatement as a judge in Clark County.
Edwards criticizes Bush 'withdrawal'
Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said during an appearance in Las Vegas that the president's "so-called withdrawal" was "like President Bush taking credit for gravity."
The soldiers Bush has promised to bring home by the end of the year would be coming back anyway, Edwards said.
"George Bush's policies have stressed our forces so much that he was already going to have to rotate 30,000 troops out of Iraq by next summer."
Edwards said Bush's plan will leave more troops in Iraq next July than were there before the "surge" began.
COMPILED BY MICHAEL SQUIRES
READ THE FULL STORIES ONLINE AT