Nevada high court to rule on dispute over copied artwork

It was October 2014 when Marco Sassone first saw the forged artwork. It came in the form of a Google notification — an original Marco Sassone lithograph for sale.

But Sassone said he’s never done lithographs. He prints copies of his paintings as serigraphs, or silk screen prints. As the 75-year-old artist looked closer, he enlarged the signature.

“It was fake,” the painter said. “I was destroyed.”

He ordered some of the prints, which were shipped from Las Vegas. He later filed a lawsuit in Clark County District Court against several defendants, including Darrell T. Coker, which alleges deceptive trade practices. The case is pending in the Nevada Supreme Court.

Coker’s attorney, Marc Randazza, previously filed a motion to dismiss Sassone’s complaint under the Anti-SLAPP Act, which protects against lawsuits involving First Amendment rights. The attorney has argued that the dispute centers on freedom of expression.

District Judge Rob Bare denied the motion, and Coker’s lawyer appealed to the state’s high court.

Randazza argued that Sassone’s work is public and Coker had the right to redistribute it under the First Amendment.

“Are you engaging in expressive activity if you’re distributing art? I say you are,” Randazza said. “My client is a guy who buys and sells lots of items. They were clearly sold as copies, not as originals.”

Randazza said that the case should focus on the issue of copyright, not fraud.

“They claim this artist has never made a lithograph and are trying to claim he has never authorized copies of his work. He allows serigraphs. You tell me the difference, because I don’t know,” Randazza said. “They’re using this very novel interpretation of the fraud statute.”

Randazza said in order to prove fraud, the plaintiff must show that someone was wronged through the purchase.

“Who was wronged?” he asked. “They don’t have that.”

“He is holding these out to be authentic lithographs,” said Dominic Gentile, a longtime Las Vegas attorney who has collected his client’s work since the 1980s.

In court documents, Sassone claims Coker has made fraudulent copies of his work, forged his signature, and forged certificates of authenticity.

“This is telling the public that this is a real Sassone,” Gentile said.

In a career spanning at least 50 years, Sassone said he never has dealt with a forgery before. His silk screens sell for $2,000 to $6,000.

The lithographs of his work went for upward of $200, and at least 120 pieces are for sale. They were scanned from Sassone’s book.

Coker previously spent about four years in a Florida prison for racketeering, or fraudulent business dealings, Florida Department of Corrections records show.

Sassone said Gentile, an art collector and fellow Italian-American, “took this case to heart.”

The artist is seeking an injunction, as well as damages for lost business. He said the lithographs have caused him to lose about 90 percent of what he was previously making.

“What I would like to do is close his shop because this case is not about me,” Sassone said, adding that other artists face similar issues.

Sassone, who was born in Florence, moved to the United States in 1967. In 2005, he moved to Toronto with his wife.

When he first moved to California, he said he was inspired by the sunshine and palm trees. It showed in his paintings, for which he uses mediums such as oils, watercolors, pastels and charcoals.

His most recent Toronto show, Viaticus, was named after the Latin word for “our belonging to a road or journey.” It ran from Nov. 9 to Dec. 14.

The 18 art pieces in the exhibition centered around discovering or finding new sights, from scrap metals to railroad tracks and skyscapes.

Although the court case has taken away a year from creating paintings, Sassone said, “it’s been a voyage, a journey on its own.”

Contact Briana Erickson at berickson@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-5244. Follow @brianarerick on Twitter.

ad-high_impact_4
Local
Camp Broadway teaches kids how to sing and dance
The Smith Center's seventh annual Camp Broadway musical theater program gives 150 kids ages 6-17 an opportunity to learn musical theater skills from industry professionals over a five-day period. Marcus Villagran/ Las Vegas Review-Journal @brokejournalist
Restoring classic Corvettes to perfection
Members of the National Corvette Restorers Society Convention talk about what it takes to earn the NCRS Top Flight Award for a restored Corvette at South Point in Las Vegas on Tuesday July 17, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Watch Ruthless! at Las Vegas Little Theatre
The musical Ruthless! will be playing at Las Vegas Little Theatre from July 13-29. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Cadaver art and sword swallowing at The Dark Arts Market
Curator Erin Emrie talks about her inspiration for The Dark Arts Market at Cornish Pasty Co. in Las Vegas Tuesday, July 10, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
'NO H8' Campaign comes to Las Vegas
Hundreds of locals participate in the NO H8 campaign founded by Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley as a response to Proposition 8, a California ban on same-sex marriage. The campaign has since evolved to represent equal treatment for all. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
What to expect at Station Casinos' Fourth of July celebration
Station Casinos' is hosting its annual 4th of July celebration with Fireworks by Grucci. Fireworks scheduled to go off on Wednesday, July 4 around 9 p.m. at Green Valley Ranch Resort, Red Rock Resort, Fiesta Rancho and Texas Station. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Star Wars and Golden Knights mashup at downtown art shop
Star Wars and Vegas Golden Knights fans attend the Boba Fett Golden Knight Paint Class at The Bubblegum Gallery in Las Vegas, Friday, June 29, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Tourists and locals enjoy Independence Day fireworks at Caesars Palace
Hundreds of tourists and locals gaze at the Independence Day fireworks show at Caesars Palace on Saturday, June 30, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Clark County recount votes in commission’s District E primary
Clark County staff begin the recount requested by candidate Marco Hernandez in the democratic primary for the County Commission's District E seat on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Long-running local hip hop producer wants Vegas rappers to shine
Las Vegas Hip Hop producer and co-owner of Digital Insight Recording Studios Tiger Stylz reflects on 30 years of music production in the city. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
"Pawn Stars" fans visit Richard Harrison's memorial at Gold & Silver Pawn
"Pawn Stars" fans from around the world visit the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas following the passing of Richard "Old Man" Harrison on Monday, June 25, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Construction for new 51s ballpark underway
New home of the Las Vegas 51s is planned to be finished by March 2019 in Summerlin according to team president Don Logan. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Underground home was built as Cold War-era hideaway
The underground house at 3970 Spencer Street is one of the valley’s most unusual homes built 26 feet underground in 1978 by Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson, who, planned to survive the end of the world there.
Lip Smacking Foodie Tours takes you where the locals go
Donald Contursi talks about Lip Smacking Foodie Tours, which offers walking tours of restaurants on and off Las Vegas Boulevard with food samples and tidbits of history about the places they visit.
Crime
Las Vegas judge’s ruling will halt tonight’s execution
On Wednesday Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez issued a ruling that will halt the execution of convicted murderer Scott Dozier. Alvogen Inc., which makes the sedative midazolam, filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing the Nevada Department of Corrections of surreptitiously obtaining the drug for use in an execution.
3 people shot in southeast Las Vegas
Three men were shot Thursday night in southeast Las Vegas, and two of them have life threatening injuries. Las Vegas police responded to the incident just after 10 p.m. on the 5000 block of Mountain Vista Street. The investigation is in its early stages and police were unable to describe the suspect or say how man people they think were involved. Police encourage anyone with information regarding this shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555, or 3-1-1
Robbery suspects apprehended
Four robbery suspects were taken into custody Thursday morning after a vehicle and foot chase that ended in an east Las Vegas neighborhood. The incident began when a person was robbed at gunpoint around 4:45 a.m. near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn. Officers arriving at the scene tried to stop two vehicles. One vehicle escaped but police chased the second into a neighborhood on Flamingo Road near Mountain Vista Street. Police surrounded the neighborhood and the suspects were apprehended. It looked like one police vehicle was involved in a collision with the suspects' car. One woman suffered an unknown injury and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. 01:04
Las Vegas police looking for robbery suspects
Two robbers who recently targeted three Las Vegas businesses remained at large Tuesday and police are asking the public to help identify them. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser gives update of officer-involved shooting
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser provides an update about an officer-involved shooting at Radwick Drive and Owens Avenue in the northeast Las Vegas on Thursday. A robbery suspect was shot and killed. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
LVMPD Looking For Robbery Suspect
The LVMPD Commercial Robbery Section is attempting to identify the pictured suspect who is responsible for committing robberies to businesses in the southern part of the Las Vegas Valley during the month of May 2018. The suspect enters the business, threatens the employee with a firearm and demands money from the register. The employee complies and the suspect flees the business.
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead at 2500 block of Ellis St., on Friday, June 8, 2018. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
1 dead in shooting at southwest Las Vegas home
A dispute between roommates led to the fatal shooting of one man in the backyard of their southwest Las Vegas Valley home on Monday, April 23, 2018. (Rio Lacanlale/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like