104°F
weather icon Clear

Two hospitalized after Mesquite fire

An unattended pot on a stove caused a fire that sent two people to a hospital in Mesquite Saturday.

The fire at the Oasis Grand Destinations Resort triggered a fire alarm at about 4:50 p.m., Mesquite emergency services officials said Monday.

Neighbors also reported smoke and flames on the building’s third floor. Fire suppression sprinklers doused the flames before firefighters arrived, however, and damage was limited to the stove top and nearby cabinets, plus significant water damage.

A 47-year-old man was found face-down and unconscious in the bedroom. He was reported in serious condition at Mesa View Hospital. His eight-year-old son was taken to the hospital as a precaution, officials said.

No damage estimate was released Monday.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nevada high court weighs murder charges in DUIs

The Nevada Supreme Court on Tuesday questioned why prosecutors in Las Vegas have decided to charge some DUI suspects with murder, evoking commentary on whether race and wealth played a role.