Woman indicted for attempted murder in attack on parents, despite victims’ refusal to testify

A Las Vegas woman was indicted on an attempted murder charge about a month after her case was thrown out because the victims repeatedly refused to show up to court, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Halina Kwiatkowski, 21, is accused of stabbing her father more than a dozen times and slashing her mother’s hand.

Prosecutors have claimed a deputy public defender crossed an ethical line when she persuaded the victims to ignore a subpoena.

In Las Vegas Justice Court last month, prosecutors played a series of recorded jailhouse phone calls between the defendant and her parents.

In those conversations, Anna Kwiatkowski said she would not show up to her daughter’s court hearings, saying she had spoken with a public defender.

“After I told her I’m not coming, she goes, ‘you made the right decision,’” the mother said.

The case was continued repeatedly in the lower court, while prosecutors sought warrants that would force the parents to testify, until Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Eric Goodman dismissed the charges.

Prosecutors then took the case to a Clark County grand jury, another court proceeding for which the Kwiatkowskis did not appear.

After the indictment was handed down, District Judge David Barker set a $50,000 warrant for Halina Kwiatkowski’s arrest on one count each of attempted murder with use of a deadly weapon, battery with use of a deadly weapon resulting in substantial bodily harm constituting domestic violence and battery with use of a deadly weapon constituting domestic violence.

“The reason we are proceeding is that she’s a danger to the community at this point,” said Chief Deputy District Attorney Jake Villani. “We understand that the parents don’t wish to prosecute the case. But this is the state of Nevada versus the defendant. And we need to protect the community.”

Kwiatkowski’s attorney, Rochelle Nguyen, could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

When police arrived at the family’s home in the 1700 block of Alta Drive in December, Kwiatkowski and her father, Mariusz, were covered in blood.

The defendant spent more than four months undergoing mental health evaluations.

In May, Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Eric Goodman pulled the deputy public defender, Tegan Machnich, from the case after he listened to the jailhouse phone calls between the defendant and her parents.

Prosecutors suggested that the phone calls indicated the deputy public defender convinced the victims that prosecutors had deceived them.

Machnich told the judge that was “absolutely not true,” according to transcripts of a May 19 hearing. “I would never say that.”

The jail calls also revealed an emotional struggle for the parents, who are victims but do not want their daughter locked away.

“You need to go to the doctor,” Anna Kwiatkowski told her daughter in one call. “You don’t need to be locked up in prison.”

Nevada law states that a preliminary hearing must be held within 15 days of the defendant’s initial court appearance, unless the defendant waives the deadline or there is “good cause” to extend the hearing. Prosecutors also can take the case to a grand jury, where defense attorneys are not allowed to question witnesses.

In Justice Court, prosecutors said they would not have opposed probation on a felony charge of battery with a deadly weapon for Halina Kwiatkowski, as long as she received mental health treatment and took medication. If she completed probation, the charge could be reduced to a gross misdemeanor. But that deal is no longer on the table, Villani said. The attempted murder charge carries up to 20 years in prison.

Contact David Ferrara at dferrara@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-1039. Find @randompoker on Twitter.

ad-high_impact_4
Crime
3 Pahrump residents arrested on false imprisonment charges
James Thatcher, 28 of Pahrump, Chelsea Demille, 30 of Pahrump, and Sandra Wombles, 19 of Pahrump were all arrested after it was discovered that they were holding an adult female and male prisoners in their bedroom. (Nye County Sheriff's Office)
2 kids struck by gunfire in North Las Vegas shooting
On Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, people opened fire into a residence in the 3600 block of Hamlin Place in North Las Vegas. Two kids were hit by gunfire and sent to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to North Las Vegas police. Anyone with information is asked to call the NLVPD at 702-633-9111.
Man killed during road-rage incident
Las Vegas police are looking for two men involved in the shooting death of a man outside a 7-Eleven story at Bonanza Road and Maryland Parkway on Nov. 12, 2018. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
16-year-old shot in North Las Vegas
A 16-year-old was hospitalized but was expected to survive after a shooting in North Las Vegas, near Centennial Parkway and Fifth Street, on Tuesday, November 13, 2018. North Las Vegas police spokesman Aaron Patty gives an update. (Katelyn Newberg/ Las Vegas Review-Journal)
3-year-old boy shot in North Las Vegas
North Las Vegas Police Officer Aaron Patty talks about an accidental shooting that left a 3-year-old boy “fighting for his life” on Nov. 10, 2018.
Senior Citizen Carjacking Attack -- 3 Suspects Sought
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police detectives are seeking the public's assistance in identifying the three attackers who carjacked and beat a 78-year-old man near Fremont and east Charleston on Tuesday. (LVMPD)
Henderson Police Department Chief Latesha Watson Talks Change
11-year-old girl shot, killed in North Las Vegas
An 11-year-old girl is dead after she was struck by gunfire Thursday night during a shooting in North Las Vegas
North Las Vegas police on deadly shooting
North Las Vegas police spokesman Eric Leavitt briefs the media about a shooting that left an 11-year-old girl dead on Nov. 1, 2018. (Katelyn Newberg/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Stephan Bonnar DUI Arrest
Stephan Bonnar arrested for DUI in Nevada.
Family members of murder victims talk about their loss
Family members of murder victims talk about their loss. Susan Nash, 52, was killed in a shooting along with her daughter and one of her three sons on Sunday night. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
Sayegh Cold Case Turns 40
Cary Sayegh was abducted from the playground of the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School in Las Vegas in 1978. His body has never been found. (File Photo)
Review held in death of man after encounter with Las Vegas police
The mother of Tashii Brown, who died after an encounter with Las Vegas police on the Strip, not satisfied after public review of evidence. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Vehicle of Interest in January Homicide
Las Vegas police released footage Friday of a “vehicle of interest” from a deadly shooting in January. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Hostage escapes clutches of robber before shooting
Metropolitan Police Department footage shows a man wearing a motorcycle helmet, identified by police as 27-year-old Mario B. Trejo, with one arm wrapped around a woman’s neck and held a handgun to her head.
Sunset Park Vigil
A small group of people gathered in Sunset Park to remember the three children recently killed in the area.
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like