If you’re trying to nourish your inner locavore, fall is the best time to do it. The fact that this is the traditional harvest time means there is a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables, locally grown (or as close to local as it gets, considering we live in the desert), in farmers markets across the valley, and the produce isn’t spending hours baking in the sun (and neither are you).
We run a listing of current farmers markets in each Friday’s Neon section, but here’s a refresher to maybe nudge you out of your supermarket habit:
* Downtown 3rd, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays, 300 N. Casino Center Drive.
* Downtown Summerlin, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, 1980 Festival Plaza Drive.
* Fresh 52, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Tivoli Village, 440 S. Rampart Blvd., and 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at Sansone Park Place, 9480 S. Eastern Ave. in Henderson.
* Green Chefs, 10 a.m. to 2 pm. Thursdays at the Springs Preserve, 333 S. Valley View Blvd.
* Henderson, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays on Water Street in downtown Henderson, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays at the Henderson Pavilion, 200 S. Green Valley Parkway.
* Las Vegas, 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at Bruce Trent Park, 1600 N. Rampart Blvd.; 4 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Gardens Park, 10401 Garden Park Drive; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first and third Saturdays of the month at Floyd Lamb Park, 9200 Tule Springs Road.
* On the Ranch, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at Craig Ranch Regional Park, 628 W. Craig Road, North Las Vegas.
For Stan Loewenkamp, Ann Brown emailed that fried chicken gizzards are served at Sunny’s Chicken and Fish, 865 N. Lamb Blvd.
More on biscuits and gravy: Donald Draper, asking, “Can you stand one more recommendation?” emailed to say Hometown Eats at 5715 S. Pecos Road serves “the lightest, most flavorful biscuits I’ve tasted. I’m from the South and this includes my grandmother’s!”
More on B&M baked beans: David Bourgeois reported finding the 16-ounce size at the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 5198 Boulder Highway. And Stan Gershgol emailed to say he buys them through www.amazon.com.
More on Arnold Palmer: Sandra Cox emailed that it’s available at Winco, which has stores at 80 N. Stephanie St. in Henderson and 6101 N. Decatur Blvd.
More reader requests
Judi Shellabarger is looking for Master English Muffin Toasting Bread, made by Bimbo Bakeries USA, which comes in a 1-pound package and which she used to get at Sam’s Club.
Nancy Goodwin is looking for streusel-filled coffeecake. She used to get the Entenmann’s brand.
Mel Persicketti is looking for hot cherry peppers.
“Where can we find something akin to traditional San Francisco sourdough bread in the Henderson/Las Vegas area?” Joni Wingenbach writes.
And Patty Romeo is asking for reader suggestions for great chicken fried steak, adding, “I am on a mission to find the best scratch one, preferably in the northwest area of town.”
Submit information to Heidi Knapp Rinella, P.O. Box 70, Las Vegas, NV 89125-0070. You also can send faxes to 702-383-4676 or email her at Hrinella@reviewjournal.com. If emailing, please put “Taste of the Town” in the subject line. Find more of her stories at www.reviewjournal.com, and follow @HKRinella on Twitter.