ad-fullscreen

Coroner IDs Las Vegas boy who died after abuse

A 1-year-old Las Vegas boy who died last week has been identified by the Clark County coroner’s office. Records show he had a history of being abused.

The child, Zane W. Gentry, was hospitalized in critical condition on Sept. 5 after he was found unresponsive, according to the Clark County Department of Family Services. The boy died Sept. 8 at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, the coroner’s office said, but his official cause and manner of death have not been determined.

Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Larry Hadfield confirmed Zane died as a result of injuries suffered in Washoe County in 2016. The injuries were described as “nonaccidental trauma” in a Clark County Department of Family Services report.

On May 31, 2016, Zane was hospitalized with severe head trauma, bruising on his body and a fractured femur, the Washoe County district attorney’s office said in statement. Investigators determined the report was substantiated, and the then-6-month-old boy was placed in his mother’s care.

His father, Shawn Wesley Gentry, pleaded guilty on Oct. 5 in Washoe County to three counts of child abuse resulting in substantial bodily harm in connection with the May 31 incident.

Details leading up to Zane’s Sept. 5 hospitalization have not been released. The Clark County Department of Family Services is investigating the death.

Earlier this week, the Clark County coroner’s office incorrectly identified the boy as 1-year-old Carter Lopez of Las Vegas. Carter died Tuesday. His official cause and manner of death are pending, according to the county coroner.

Hadfield said Carter’s death is being investigated by Metro abuse and neglect detectives.

Contact Rio Lacanlale at rlacanlale@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381. Follow @riolacanlale on Twitter.

section-ads_high_impact_4
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Events
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like