Unconventional intoxicants include nutmeg, choking

When former emergency medical technician Shelly Cochran responded to a call a few years back, she found a young woman suffering from an overdose.

The woman’s choice of drug? Nutmeg.

Yes, nutmeg.

“We didn’t even know that was possible back then,” Cochran said. “It acts as a hallucinogen if you take it in large amounts, but overdoses are on the rise because people don’t know how much it takes (to get high) and don’t realize it takes a long time to take effect.”

Like nutmeg, other household items can be abused by teens to become intoxicated, according to Cochran, who also serves as a Safe Kids Clark County board member.

“Indigestible alcohols, computer cleaning dusters, nutmeg and choking are the ones that they’re seeing an increase in emergency room admissions,” Cochran said. “These are the most popular, and they’re all things that are really common household items.”

Locking the liquor cabinet can prevent underage alcohol use, but teens can still become intoxicated by drinking hand sanitizer, mouthwash and rubbing alcohol, according to Jamie Ross, executive director of the PACT Coalition. The group’s acronym stands for prevention, advocacy, choices and teamwork.

“If you take one of those and add (stuff) to it, it becomes pure alcohol,” Ross said. “It’s super harsh and gross-tasting, but it’s the same concept as vodka.”

Items that can be inhaled, such as spray paint, glue, whipped cream canisters and compressed air for dusting electronics, also can cause a high.

Although inhalants are dangerous, Ross said teen usage is dropping. About 8.9 percent of Clark County high school students tried it at least once, according to the 2013 Clark County Youth Risk Behavior Survey.

“A depressing fact is that one out of every three people die the first time they try it,” Ross said. “It cuts off oxygen to your brain, and when you do that, you die very quickly.”

Teenagers can also experience a feeling of euphoria through the Choking Game, where individuals intentionally cut off oxygen to the brain through strangulation or self-induced hyperventilation.

“It’s where you’re choked until right before you pass out,” Ross said. “It’s dangerous because you’re cutting off the oxygen to your brain. If you pass out, you endanger your ability to ever come back from being unconscious.”

While household items are not typically considered illegal, using or possessing any drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent to induce euphoria or hallucinations is unlawful under state law, according to Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Larry Hadfield.

“Like anything else, parents should monitor the household,” he said. “If you notice things disappearing, like a cleaning solvent, and you or any other adult in the house hasn’t used it in months, that could be a sign.”

Although household items can be used as alternatives to drugs, Ross said marijuana and prescription pills are still the most common drugs abused by teenagers.

Despite its legalization in some states, marijuana is still viewed as a “gateway drug” to harder substances. About 37 percent of high school students have tried marijuana at least once, according to the risk behavior survey.

“Statistics show that when the perception of harm goes down, use goes up,” Ross said. “So with the legalization of recreational marijuana in other states and medical marijuana in Nevada, that tells kids it’s safer to use, so perception of harm goes down as use goes up.”

About 16.7 percent of high school students have taken prescription medication without a doctor’s consent.

“When I talk to kids, I tell them not a single one of them is ever going to say, ‘I’ve never tried a single drug in my life, but today, I’m going to shoot heroin,’ ” Ross said. “But when you’re popping Vicodin, Lortab or Oxycontin, it’s almost identical to heroin. When you wouldn’t snort, smoke or shoot heroin, you wouldn’t want to start taking these pills just for (fun).”

The best method of prevention is for parents to constantly talk to their children about drug use and abuse, Ross said. Parents should also be aware of drug trends so they know what to look for.

“You can lock up your whole house, but if a teen really wants something, they’re going to find a way to get it,” Ross said. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You can’t put your kid in a bubble.”

For more information, visit drugfreelasvegas.org or safekidsclarkcounty.org.

Contact Henderson View reporter Caitlyn Belcher at cbelcher@viewnews.com or 702-383-0403.

ad-high_impact_4
Local
Lights FC coach Eric Wynalda lost his home in California wildfire
Eric Wynalda, coach of the Las Vegas Lights FC soccer team, talks about losing his home in the deadly California wildfires during an interview in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 17, 2018. (Ron Kantowski/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Women face issues from Essure birth control implants
DeVonna "Kat" Normand said she had complications from the Essure birth control implants. Normand uses her Sin City Heat show at 22.3 TakeOver Vegas Radio internet radio station in Las Vegas as a platform to raise awareness about Essure and connect with other women who have used the device. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @KMCannonPhoto
Truancy and Clark County schools
Tony Stark, one of 23 attendance officers with the Clark County School District, have a tall order tracking down students who aren't in school.
North Las Vegas Water Meters
Randy DeVaul shows off the new water meters that the city is installing.
Project 150 Thanksgiving 2018
About 100 volunteers for Project 150 box Thanksgiving meals for high school students and their families in Las Vegas on Wednesday, Nov. 14.
Three Square’s Maurice Johnson Talks About Food Waste
Three Square’s director of operations Maurice Johnson talks about food waste.
Parade preparation nears completion
Downtown Summerlin prepares for its annual holiday parade.
Clark County Wetlands promotes 2019 Wetland Walker Program
This year the park will be celebrating the Northern Flicker. The program is designed to teach about that bird, and encourage people to visit the Wetlands and walk the same distance the bird migrates each year.
Poet’s Walk Henderson introduces storytelling
Residents enjoy a storytelling activity.
Downtown Summerlin hosts its annual Festival of Arts
People crowd to Downtown Summerlin for the 23rd annual Summerlin Festival of Arts in Las Vegas, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018. (Caroline Brehman/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Clark County educators debate alternative grading systems
Spring Valley High School principal Tam Larnerd, Spring Valley High School IB coordinator Tony Gebbia and retired high school teacher Joyce O'Day discuss alternative grading systems. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Grandparents on the fire that killed three family members
Charles and Doris Smith talk about the night an apartment fire took the lives of three of their family members. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
New York artist Bobby Jacobs donated a sculpture to the Las Vegas Healing Garden
Bobby Jacobs, an artist from upstate New York, has spent much of the past year creating a sculpture of two separate angel wings. He donated the sculpture to the Las Vegas Healing Garden. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Weather will cool slightly through the end of the week
The weather will cool slightly through the end of the week., but highs are still expected to be slightly above normal for this year. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Mayor announces new public-private partnership
Mayor Carolyn Goodman announced the creation of the Mayor’s Fund for Las Vegas LIFE, a public-private partnership that will allocate money to the city’s neediest.
Fremont9 opens downtown
Fremont9 apartment complex has opened in downtown Las Vegas. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Fall fairytale gets cozy at Bellagio Conservatory
Bellagio Conservatory introduces its fall-themed garden titled "Falling Asleep." (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
What the house that Ted Binion died in looks like today
Casino heir Ted Binion died in this Las Vegas home in 1998. Current home owner Jane Popple spent over $600,000 to restore and modernize the home. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Rescue Mission employees terminated
Don James, a former employee for the Las Vegas Rescue Mission, talks about the day his team was terminated. (Erik Verduzco/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Raiders Cupcakes at Freed's Bakery
Freed's Bakery will have Raiders-themed cupcakes available in store and for order during football season. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
51s fans say goodbye to Cashman Field
Las Vegas 51s fans said goodbye to Cashman Field in Las Vegas, Monday September, 3, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
51s owner Don Logan's last weekend at Cashman Field
Don Logan, owner of the Las Vegas 51s, gives a tour of Cashman Field before the team's final weekend using the field. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like