Oxygen, cigarette cause fire at apartment complex; 3 injured

A woman who forgot she was hooked up to oxygen and lit a cigarette before going to sleep caused $200,000 in damage during an apartment complex blaze early Sunday morning, the Las Vegas Fire Department said.

Fire officials said they were alerted to the blaze at 2:34 a.m. at the Las Vegas Manor Senior Apartments, 1700 N. Decatur Blvd., near Vegas Drive.

The fire was deemed an accident and the woman, who was in her 60s, was taken to University Medical Center with burns on her face. Two other people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Officials said the fire gutted one apartment and caused heat and smoke damage to a second. Eight other units reeked of smoke.

Ten people were displaced.

Fire officials said when the woman lit a cigarette, the oxygen machine “flashed” and began the fire on the bed. The woman then pulled the bedding that was on fire outside, but the bed remained on fire and spread to the rest of the apartment.

The fire was extinguished in 15 minutes.

Contact reporter Antonio Planas at aplanas@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4638.

News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like