89°F
weather icon Clear

Art lovers blast NDOT for removing roadside sculptures near Great Basin National Park

Art lovers in the tiny town of Baker are lashing out at the Nevada Department of Transportation for hauling away sculptures from a roadside exhibit launched by locals almost two decades ago.

An NDOT crew cleared out 15 or so of the largest works of art from state Route 488 on Nov. 1, citing safety concerns along the 5-mile route between Baker and the Lehman Caves Visitor Center at Great Basin National Park.

Department spokeswoman Meg Ragonese said all of the sculptures that were removed were within the highway’s “clear zone,” which she described as an unobstructed area just off the pavement where motorists can safely stop if they pull off the road.

A few of the art pieces were within 10 feet of passing vehicles, Ragonese said.

“Safety is our top priority,” she said in an email.

But residents of the town 300 miles northeast of Las Vegas, including a few of the artists behind the roadside display, said NDOT also hauled off some pieces that were mounted on an existing barbed-wire fence along the highway or positioned far enough from the pavement to pose no real risk to traffic.

And they did so without any warning.

Terry Marasco, owner of the SilverJack Inn and LectroLux Cafe in Baker, called the road department’s actions “misguided and arrogant.”

He quickly fired off letters to Gov. Brian Sandoval and other officials about the confiscated sculptures.

“I’m in overdrive,” the angry innkeeper said this week. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m not done with this.”

Baker resident Joyce Nickerson got wind of the art-removal operation just as it was beginning and raced up the road to save her work.

When she got there, she said, a pair of road supervisors told her she was in trouble and could be held liable for placing her whimsical sculptures within the highway right-of-way without permission.

They gave her an hour to take her pieces down or they would do it for her.

“It was very disappointing that there was never any notification from NDOT,” she said. “We could have been notified.”

This wasn’t exactly a pressing new problem, Nickerson said. The oldest of her roadside sculptures had been hanging from the barbed-wire fence since 2012.

The road art tradition on Route 488 dates back to 1997, when an area resident named “Doc” Sherman began decorating fence posts along the highway with old gloves and mannequin heads in funny hats.

Sherman’s “post” impressionistic gloves quickly gave rise to a loose collective of pun-loving artists who called themselves “the permanent wave society.”

Bill Rountree was among the first to join the fun, with several early sculptures that still stand, including a horse skeleton driving an old car and a “whoa” sign for local cowpokes who liked to ignore more traditional stop signs.

Bill’s wife, Katherine, said not everyone appreciated the road art, but most people seemed to.

“It brought joy to a lot of people. It brought headaches to a few. That’s just how it goes,” she said.

Today, the roadside sculpture gallery is promoted on a local tourism website, and artists are encouraged to put up new pieces each June as part of a competition held during the annual Snake Valley Festival.

Among the pieces removed last week were several sizable new sculptures representing the constellations and inspired by the area’s famous dark night skies. Only a handful of smaller pieces remain.

Ragonese said the artwork wasn’t labeled so there was no way to contact the owners before it was taken down.

The sculptures will be stored at an NDOT maintenance yard for the next 30 days or until someone claims them, she said. Artists can call the department’s Ely office at 775-289-1700 to schedule a time to collect their work.

Katherine Rountree acknowledged that some of the art might have been a little bit too close to the road, and no one ever sought NDOT’s blessing to put it there.

“We didn’t have a leg to stand on. It’s their right-of-way, right?” she said.

But in a town of around 70 people, transportation officials could have found a more neighborly way to handle the situation, she said.

“From a diplomatic standpoint, we thought it was a little heavy-handed,” Rountree said. “I understand their point. I think they went about it in precisely the wrong way.”

Contact Henry Brean at hbrean@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0350. Follow @RefriedBrean on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Politics Videos
COVID-19 case reported at Legislature's special session - Video
A person who was inside the Nevada Legislature Building has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, Legislative Counsel Bureau Director Brenda Erdoes said Friday, July 10. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump Pushing for Reopening Schools and In-Person Learning - Video
Donald Trump launched an effort on Wednesday to reopen schools across the United States with in-person learning.
Special session to tackle $1.2B budget deficit in special session Wednesday - VIDEO
Closing the state’s $1.2 billion budget hole will be the prime focus of the upcoming special legislative session that will convene at 9 a.m. Wednesday in Carson City, according to a proclamation issued by Gov. Steve Sisolak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Lawmakers to tackle $1.2B budget deficit in special session Wednesday - VIDEO
Closing the state’s $1.2 billion budget hole will be the prime focus of the upcoming special legislative session that will convene at 9 a.m. Wednesday in Carson City, according to a proclamation issued by Gov. Steve Sisolak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Clark County Democratic leaders resign
Several key Clark County Democratic Party leaders have resigned as progressive leadership has swelled in recent months.
Dream Big Nevada celebrates DACA ruling - VIDEO
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday rejected President Donald Trump’s effort to end legal protections under DACA for 650,000 young immigrants. Astrid Silva, founder of Dream Big Nevada, discusses the temporary victory and the next step for Dreamers.
Councilwoman Michele Fiore walks out of city council meeting - Video
Las Vegas Councilwoman Michele Fiore walks out of a City Council meeting during public comments.
Mitt Romney marches in Washington, D.C., protest - Video
On Sunday, Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah joined a group of protesters marching through Washington, D.C. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada gyms, bars that do not serve food can reopen Friday - VIDEO
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday evening said Phase 2 of the state’s Nevada United: Roadmap to Recovery will begin on Friday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada Rep. Horsford admits to having affair - VIDEO
Nevada Congressman Steven Horsford admitted to having an affair with Gabriela Linder, a former intern for Sen. Harry Reid. Linder detailed her account of the affair in a podcast she called, "Mistress for Congress." (Heidi Fang/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak says businesses will begin reopening under phase 1 - VIDEO
The first phase of reopening Nevada’s businesses will begin Saturday, May 9, Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Joe Biden denies Tara Reade's sexual assault allegation - VIDEO
The former senate aide claims Biden assaulted her in 1993 when he was a senator. Biden first denied the accusations via a public post on Medium. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
RJ interview with Sisolak on the reopening plan for Nevada - VIDEO
The Las Vegas Review-Journal interviewed Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak on the plan for reopening Nevada during the coronavirus pandemic. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak reacts to Goodman CNN interview- VIDEO
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman repeated her call to immediately reopen businesses during an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Wednesday, leading to a reaction from Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak praises Nevadans for staying at home, saving lives - VIDEO
Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday it’s still too early to know when the state’s COVID-19 shutdown orders could be lifted or when businesses could start to reopen their doors. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump gives governors 3-phase approach to open US - VIDEO
President Donald Trump declared victory in America’s war against the “invisible enemy” as the president’s Coronavirus Task Force released “Opening up America Again” guidelines. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump names Jacky Rosen to task force on reopening economy - VIDEO
President Donald Trump named Sen. Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., to be a member of his Opening Up America Again Congressional Group Thursday to advise him on coronavirus policy. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden for president - VIDEO
On April 13, former presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders announced his official endorsement of former Vice President Joe Biden. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
THE LATEST
Red Cross seeks volunteers to help during wildfire season

The American Red Cross in the Nevada region is looking to fill at least 75 positions monthly during the wildfire season, but will not turn others away if they would like to help out.

 
Sisolak says restrictions on some bars will return Friday

Gov. Steve Sisolak says that bars in certain counties in Nevada will return to Phase One (in which bars that didn’t serve food were closed) starting at 11:59 p.m. Friday. A list of counties affected will be released Friday.