DeLay disputes Adelson testimony

A spokeswoman for former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay denied on Tuesday that in 2001, at the behest of casino mogul Sheldon Adelson, DeLay blocked legislation that could have hindered China’s Olympic bid.

A civil trial unfolding in Las Vegas has exposed charges that Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman Adelson, a major Republican donor, used his political influence to squelch congressional objections to China’s Olympic bid, possibly helping Beijing land this year’s games.

DeLay did not have a hand in blocking a bipartisan resolution condemning Beijing’s bid, spokeswoman Shannon Flaherty said. Any implication that the Texas Republican influenced legislation to advance the business interests of a wealthy donor was false, she said.

“The people who attempt to steal credit or assign blame for congressional actions are a dime a dozen, but the fact is the bill wasn’t going to the floor before any conversation occurred,” Flaherty wrote in an e-mail in response to questions.

According to Adelson’s testimony, on July 4, 2001 Adelson called DeLay, then the majority whip, from China, where Adelson was angling to get the Chinese government to let him build a casino in Macau.

Adelson said in court last week that he reached DeLay by phone at an Independence Day barbecue in Texas and that the subject of the phone call was a nonbinding resolution pending in the House at the time that could have thrown up an obstacle to Beijing’s Olympic bid.

Flaherty said DeLay had no recollection of whether or not the phone call occurred.

“But by the time such conversation would have occurred, it was already clear that the bill wasn’t going to be scheduled (for a hearing or vote on the House floor) due to the opposition of leadership,” she said.

At the time, the Chinese capital was competing with several other cities, including Paris and Toronto, for the 2008 Summer Games. The House bill, sponsored by the late Rep. Tom Lantos, D-Calif., called on the U.S. delegation to the International Olympic Committee to vote against Beijing because of China’s human rights record. It had broad bipartisan support.

Lawyers for Richard Suen, the Hong Kong businessman who is suing Adelson for allegedly failing to pay him for his services, contend that Adelson called in a chit from DeLay that day, asking the Republican leader to do him a favor and scuttle the vote.

In his testimony in District Court in Las Vegas last week, Adelson said he met with then-Beijing Mayor Liu Qi, who asked him to “help China win the Olympics.”

Adelson said he called “four or five” congressmen he knew, including DeLay, about legislation that could hinder China’s Olympic bid. He did not name the other members of Congress. But Adelson said he did not ask DeLay or any of the congressmen to do anything that would “go against their beliefs.”

The bill didn’t make it to the floor of the Republican-controlled House. Just over a week later, on July 13, 2001, the Olympic committee met in Moscow and, in a secret vote, chose Beijing to host the Games.

Lantos, a Holocaust survivor who died last year, blasted the choice, telling the Associated Press at the time, “This decision will allow the Chinese police state to bask in the reflected glory of the Olympic Games despite having one of the most abominable human rights records in the world.”

DeLay spokeswoman Flaherty denied that DeLay exerted any influence on the bill or that the bill would have had an effect on the Olympic committee’s vote.

“Mr. DeLay was Whip at the time. The floor schedule is determined by the Majority Leader, who was (former Texas Rep.) Dick Armey, and with a Republican in the White House they had a very ambitious agenda that year,” Flaherty’s e-mail said. “Also, since it was a nonbinding resolution, it would have no impact on the law or any decision made regarding the Olympics.”

And far from wanting to advance China’s interests despite human-rights advocates’ objections, DeLay was a longtime critic of China for its rights record and opposed giving Beijing the games, Flaherty noted. DeLay was a signatory to the Lantos resolution.

DeLay “supported the resolution, but there were detractors among the Republican conference,” Flaherty’s e-mail said. “There was a strong sense among Members (of Congress) at the time that this resolution would have the opposite effect that was intended and in essence guarantee that the IOC would pick Beijing just to spite Congress.”

Sands leaders, however, appear to believe otherwise. Adelson’s chief lieutenant, Sands President Bill Weidner, testified Monday that on the basis of Adelson’s conversation with DeLay, the company took credit for helping China get the Olympics.

After Adelson was told the Lantos bill would not come up for a vote, Weidner contacted Sands’ Washington lobbying firm, Patton Boggs, with instructions to tell the Chinese embassy that Sands had helped keep the vote from happening, Weidner acknowledged.

The Chinese were “grateful” for Sands’ assistance, Weidner said.

Adelson was eventually successful in becoming the first American businessman to open a gaming facility in China, the Sands Macau, in 2004. Sands’ early entry into the Chinese market coupled with its public offering that same year dramatically increased the wealth of Adelson, now thought to be the third richest man in America after Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

The current trial, which began last week and is expected to last a month, revolves around Suen’s accusation that Adelson didn’t pay him for helping the company get its license to operate in Macau. Adelson contends that Suen did nothing to earn the payment he says he deserves.

In court on Tuesday, Weidner told the jury that compensating Suen, who set up meetings with Chinese government officials and claims he was instrumental in securing the license, would have looked bad. “Paying him would have looked as if we bribed someone for the license,” Weidner said.

A prolific donor to Jewish and conservative causes, Adelson has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican campaign committees. He contributed $6,200 to DeLay’s campaigns between 1999 and 2005, according to the Federal Election Commission.

DeLay, who left the House in 2006, remains under a corruption indictment in Texas on campaign-finance charges.

Review-Journal writer Howard Stutz contributed to this report. Contact reporter Molly Ball at mball@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2919.

ad-high_impact_4
News
Tate Elementary shows academic progress after categorical funding
Students at Tate Elementary in Las Vegas has benefited from a program to boost education funding in targeted student populations, known as categorical funding. One program called Zoom helps students who have fallen below grade level in reading. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @KMCannonPhoto
Three Square helps TSA workers
Three Square Food Bank donated over 400 care bags to TSA workers affected by the government shutdown Wednesday, filled with food, personal hygiene products and water.
Las Vegas furniture store donates to Clark County firehouses
Walker Furniture donated new mattresses to all 30 Clark County firehouses in the Las Vegas Valley, starting today with Station 22. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Mount Charleston Gets Heavy Snow, Fog
Mount Charleston saw heavy snow today, and fog in lower elevations as a cold front swept across the Las Vegas Valley. (Benjamin Hager/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Krystal Whipple arrested in Arizona
Krystal Whipple, charged in the killing of a Las Vegas nail salon manager over a $35 manicure, is expected to return to Nevada to face a murder charge.
Holocaust survivor on acceptance
Holocaust survivor Celina Karp Biniaz, who was the youngest person on Schindler’s List, talks about the most important message for people to understand from her life and experiences.
Holocaust survivor speaks about telling her story
Holocaust survivor Celina Karp Biniaz, who was the youngest person on Schindler’s List, tells of opening up about her experiences during Sunday’s event at Temple Sinai.
Jesus Jara State of the Schools address
Clark County School District Superintendent Jesus Jara delivers his State of the Schools address on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019. (Amelia Pak-Harvey/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Michael Naft sworn in to Clark County Commission
Michael Naft, chosen by Gov. Steve Sisolak to be his replacement on the Clark County Commission, was sworn into office on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2019. (Shea Johnson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
CES Opening Party in Omnia Nightclub at Caesars Palace
CES conventioneers packed Omnia Nightclub at Caesars Palace, and let loose as they danced to DJs into the night. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @KMCannonPhoto
Las Vegas police piecing together details of fatal shooting
Six hours after the fact, Las Vegas homicide detectives worked to reconstruct the scene of a shooting early Jan. 7 that left one man dead in the southeast valley. (Rio Lacanlale/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Dyer Lawrence explains college football playoff system proposal
Las Vegan Dyer Lawrence has a new idea for a college football playoff system that includes a unique scheduling component called National Call Out Day. (Ron Kantowski/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Death row inmate Scott Dozier found dead in his cell
Nevada death row inmate Scott Dozier is dead. Dozier’s death ends his legal odyssey, which began in 2007 when he was convicted in the 2002 murder of Jeremiah Miller, but does little to clarify what’s next for Nevada’s death penalty.
I-15 southbound near Primm closed after ‘major crash’
A rollover crash Saturday morning involving at least nine vehicles on southbound Interstate 15 near Primm caused an hourslong traffic delay. Traffic was backed up to Sloan, live traffic cameras show. (Rio Lacanlale/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Death Valley visitors deal with shutdown
Visitors staying at the Furnace Creek Campground were forced to move from the campground following health and safety concerns due to lack of resources during the partial government shutdown at Death Valley National Park in Calif., on Friday, Jan. 4, 2019. Richard Brian Las Vegas Review-Journal @vegasphotograph
Half of homicides in Henderson for 2018 domestic violence related
Lt. Kirk Moore of the public information office of the city of Henderson police department speaks to the Review-Journal in Henderson, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019. Henderson saw a slight increase in homicides in the past year. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Governor-elect Steve Sisolak stops by Las Vegas Boys and Girls Club
Governor-elect Steve Sisolak kicks off his tour to Carson City, which will take him from Las Vegas, through Tonopah, and up to the capital city. First stop is the Downtown Boys & Girls Club.
Certificates for renewing wedding vows in Clark County
The Marriage License Bureau in Clark County began issuing a Certificate of Vow Renewal to married couples who are renewing their wedding vows on Jan. 3, 2019. (Shea Johnson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas flu season better than last year (so far)
Dr. Fermin Leguen, chief medical officer and director of clinical services at the Southern Nevada Health District, said there were 24 flu-related deaths at this point in the flu season. No deaths have been reported so far this year. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @KMCannonPhoto
The Las Vegas Valley’s First Baby of 2019
The first 2019 baby in the Las Vegas Valley was Melialani Chihiro Manning, born at 12:10 a.m. at Henderson Hospital. (Briana Erickson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas NYE Fireworks - VIDEO
The full show: A spectacular view from the rooftop of the Trump International Hotel as 80,000 pyrotechnics illuminated the Las Vegas Strip at the stroke of midnight. Fireworks by Grucci choreographed launches from the Stratosphere, the Venetian, Treasure Island, Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood, Aria and MGM Grand.
Snow in Henderson on New Year's Eve morning
Light snow flurries in Anthem Highlands in Henderson on Monday morning, the last day of 2018.
Sources: Henderson Constable may face more charges
Henderson Constable Earl Mitchell may face additional charges ... stemming from his spending of county funds, sources said. Mitchell was indicted earlier this month on five felony theft and fraud charges ... after a Las Vegas Review-Journal story questioned his spending. But grand jury records show even more extensive spending including ... an $800 dinner at steakhouse ... nearly 200 atm withdrawals mostly at gambling establishments ... and even Disneyland tickets. But his attorney plans to ask a judge to dismiss the charges.
Las Vegas NYE Restrictions and Enhanced Security
If you are planning to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Las Vegas Strip or Fremont Street, be aware that you are not allowed to bring backpacks, coolers, strollers or glass. There will also be an increase in security to ensure safe celebrations across town.
Catholic Charities serves up 53rd annual Christmas dinner
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada and more than 100 volunteers served 1,000 Christmas meals to Southern Nevada's homeless and less fortunate. (K.M. Cannon Las Vegas Review-Journal @kmcannonphoto)
Henderson couple adds another school to their generosity
Bob and Sandy Ellis of Henderson, who donate to several Clark County School District schools, have added Matt Kelly Elementary in Las Vegas to their list of schools where every student gets new shoes, socks and a toy. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Jeffrey Martin Added To Nevada's Black Book
Martin was one of four men convicted of theft and cheating at gambling in 2016 in Clark County District Court and sentenced to prison. The Nevada Gaming Commission voted unanimously Thursday to include Martin in the black book.
Raiders Stadium Timelapse
Construction on the new Raiders stadium continues in Las Vegas.
Buffalo Wild Wings security video
Security footage from a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in southwest Las Vegas captured a driver who repeatedly crashed into a vehicle in a failed attempt to squeeze into a tight parking spot.
The Magical Forest at Opportunity Village
Opportunity Village's Magical Forest added 1 million lights and a synchronized music show visible from all over the forest this year. The holiday attraction, which began in 1991, has a train, rides, food and entertainment along with the light displays. (Heidi Knapp Rinella/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like