64°F
weather icon Clear

Downtown motel sustains minor damage in fire

A fire took place at the Downtowner Motel near the intersection of Eighth Street and Ogden Avenue about 4 p.m. Monday.

The fire started on a stove of a small kitchenette inside a room on the second floor of the motel. The fire was confined to the stove and the wall behind it. The Las Vegas Fire Department put out the fire, said spokesman Tim Szymanski.

A toddler who was in the unit during the fire was transported to University Medical Center Trauma Unit to be checked for smoke inhalation, he said.

There fire caused no damage to other units within the motel. Fire damage was estimated at about $5,000.

Officials continue to investigate.

Contact reporter Maria Agreda at magreda@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0391. Find her on Twitter: @mjfagre.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
 
Transit of Mercury brings out stargazers around the world

Stargazers used solar-filtered binoculars and telescopes to spot Mercury — a tiny black dot — as it passed directly between Earth and the sun on Monday.