CARSON CITY — If either Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak or state Sen. Tick Segerblom really wants to run as a Democratic candidate for governor this year, then they better get out and raise some money.
Contribution and expense reports filed Wednesday with the secretary of state’s office show that neither of them has any money left from what they raised in 2013 that could be spent on a gubernatorial campaign against Gov. Brian Sandoval. But Sisolak has said that he has about $500,000 from campaigns in previous years and would use some of his own money if he decided to run for governor.
Sandoval’s campaign staff reported Tuesday he has raised about $3 million.
Both Sisolak and Segerblom have mentioned entering the governor’s race. Filing for the office is March 3-14.
Sisolak reported raising $29,558 in contributions but also said he spent $85,300. Segerblom raised $80,023 and spent $83,293, most of that on expenses related to serving in the Legislature.
All politicians were required by midnight Wednesday to report what they raised and spent in 2013 and submit their financial disclosure statements that list their sources of income, property holdings, debtors and any gifts they accepted valued at more than $200.
Those who are late will be assessed penalties by the secretary of state’s office. Because of the midnight deadline, not all reports were available Wednesday.
Sisolak, Segerblom and Sandoval didn’t report accepting any gifts.
Perhaps the most revealing financial disclosure statement came from state Sen. Mark Hutchison, R-Las Vegas, an announced candidate for lieutenant governor.
Hutchison, a lawyer, reported he owns eight properties, other than his primary home. Six are rental properties, and two are vacation homes, one in Brian Head, Utah, and the other in Huntington Beach, Calif.
He reported raising $857,235 last year for his lieutenant governor race and spending $156,024. His contributions included $250 from former first lady Dema Guinn. Hutchison is Sandoval’s choice for lieutenant governor.
Among the state elected officials, both Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki and Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto reported they spent more than they raised in 2013. Both are term-limited from serving in their current positions again, and they have said they will not be candidates for any offices this year.
Their contribution and expenditure report reflect those promises. Masto raised $3,000 and spent $8,557. She reported taking $15,000 in gifts, mostly from political organizations to pay for her to attend attorney general-related meetings around the country. One gift of $3,333 was from the U.S. State Department to make a speech before the United Nations Committee on the Rights of Children in Switzerland last summer.
She also accepted $700 from the Michael Bolton Foundation to attend the singer’s charity dinner in Reno.
Krolicki reported contributions of $20,212 and expenditures of $33,715. He accepted $5,300 in gifts to attend an economic development meeting in South Korea and a National Lieutenant Governors Association meeting.
Controller Kim Wallin, a candidate for state treasurer, reported $107,345 in contributions but only $21,640 in expenses.
Contact Capital Bureau Chief Ed Vogel at email@example.com, call 775-687-3901. Follow him on Twitter @edisonvogel.