89°F
weather icon Clear

10 year timelapse shows 9/11 recovery effort

For the past 4,618 days —and counting— an EarthCam has been situated at Ground Zero in New York City capturing the recovery effort after the World Trade Center’s Twin Towers fell on September 11, 2001.

The cameras were set up days after the Towers fell to “webcast the rescue and recovery for the families, and the world, to see the brave determination of first responders,” the video description says.

EarthCam CEO Brian Cury and his team produced a timelapse video highlighting the construction of the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. The time lapse begins October 2004 and ends in May of this year.

The museum opened on May 15, 2014, at the base of Ground Zero.

Cury says on Youtube, “I hope this time-lapse serves as a way to recognize that for the 10 years of construction, there was constant progress made to rebuild these important 16 acres of America.”

Watch the video below.

Contact Kristen DeSilva at kdesilva@reviewjournal.com. Find her on Twitter: @kristendesilva

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Death in Illinois may be 1st in US tied to vaping

The Illinois Department of Public Health said in a news release that the patient, who was between 17 and 38 years old, had been hospitalized after falling ill following vaping.

Billionaire David Koch dies at 79

Billionaire David Koch has died at age 79. Koch was a major donor to conservative causes and educational groups.

France halts Brazil trade deal over Amazon fires

France is accusing Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro of having lied to French leader Emmanuel Macron and says it now opposes a trade deal with the South American bloc Mercosur because of his environmental back-peddling.

Israel blamed for mystery hit on Iran-backed militia depot in Iraq

Israel was responsible for the bombing of an Iranian weapons depot in Iraq last month, U.S. officials have confirmed, an attack that would mark a significant escalation in Israel’s years-long campaign against Iranian military entrenchment across the region.

FBI takes down Nigerian scam artists in $46M case

The investigation began in 2016 with a single bank account and one victim, said Paul Delacourt, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles office.