65°F
weather icon Clear

329 inmates escape Haitian prison during attack

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The attack on a Haitian prison on the capital’s outskirts to free the son of a prominent businessman being held on kidnapping charges led to the escape of 329 inmates, officials said Monday.

Police were searching nationwide for the escaped prisoners and have also asked for help from Interpol as well as authorities in the neighboring Dominican Republic and nearby Jamaica because some men may have fled abroad, National Police Chief Godson Orleus said at a news conference in Port-au-Prince.

So far, authorities have only managed to capture 10 of the prisoners who escaped Sunday when armed gunman attacked the prison in Croix-des-Bouquets to free Clifford Brandt, a member of a wealthy family, who has been held since 2012 for allegedly running a kidnapping ring in the capital.

Authorities are offering a reward equal to about $25,000 for information leading to Brandt’s recapture.

The prison, which was built in 2012 with assistance from the Canadian government after the January 2010 earthquake damaged another one in the capital, held 899 prisoners.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Israel, Hamas indicate no cease-fire deal imminent

The start of Ramadan, which is expected to be around March 10, is seen as an unofficial deadline for a deal.

Fate of Las Vegas Macy’s stores uncertain; 150 to close in US

Macy’s will close 150 stores over the next three years and 50 by the end of 2024, the department store said. Macy’s has at least three stores in the Las Vegas area.

Could Missouri’s ‘stand your ground’ law apply to Super Bowl parade shooters?

The man accused of firing the first shots at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally told authorities he felt threatened, while a second man said he pulled the trigger because someone was shooting at him, according to court documents.

Biden hopes Gaza cease-fire starts as soon as next Monday

President Joe Biden expressed hope negotiators would secure a temporary pause in the fighting between Israel and Hamas terrorists in the Gaza Strip.

Israel starts preparations to expand ground operation

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the army had presented to the War Cabinet its operational plan for Rafah.