Five things to watch for when UNLV opens its football season at 4:30 p.m. PDT Saturday at Northern Illinois:
1. With all the changes at UNLV, Northern Illinois has little video on the Rebels. UNLV could take advantage by establishing an early tone.
2. The Huskies will make adjustments. How the Rebels respond will be key. UNLV didn’t react well last season when the opponent adjusted after the Rebels started well.
3. What kind of decisions will UNLV quarterback Blake Decker make? He needs to avoid forcing passes into traffic and realize a punt isn’t the worst outcome. Decker also can’t afford to take on defenders and needs to either slide or go out of bounds. UNLV can’t afford to lose him.
4. On the subject of keeping Decker upright, the Rebels’ offensive line needs to give him time. The front also must do the job for the young running backs to give them a chance.
5. The Rebels must keep Huskies quarterback Drew Hare contained and not let him get outside. He has the ability to beat UNLV with his legs as well as his arm.
Contact Mark Anderson at email@example.com or 702-387-2914. Follow him on Twitter: @markanderson65
Check our GameDay page for full coverage of the UNLV-Northern Illinois game.