Writer-director David O. Russell’s “American Hustle,” set in 1978 and ever-so-loosely based on the Abscam corruption scandal, offers some of the year’s best characters thanks to Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Jeremy Renner.
If their mere presence isn’t enough to get you into the theater, here are seven ’70s-specific reasons to see it:
1) Bradley Cooper’s home perm.
2) Bradley Cooper’s gold chains, plunging necklines and man fur.
3) Christian Bale’s hair. It’s a combination of a too-small hairpiece and a hideously fabulous combover that’s teased, maneuvered and eventually glued down, employing the sort of structural engineering that would make Donald Trump envious.
4) The seizure-inducing strobe light when Cooper and Amy Adams hit the dance floor.
5) The soundtrack, featuring the likes of ELO, America, Tom Jones, Donna Summer, the Bee Gees and Wings. It’s the best album K-tel never got around to releasing.
6) Jennifer Lawrence’s irrational hatred of her new “science oven,” aka her microwave.
7) The way Adams’ barely there wardrobe shows off seemingly inconceivable amounts of her breasts without her ever actually appearing naked. You’d swear some of those dresses were created in post-production by a team of CGI wizards.