A man killed by police investigating a domestic disturbance Friday had a lengthy criminal record that included a history of family violence and drug use.
According to court and police records, Alberto Castillo, 35, had been charged with several felonies in the past five years, including burglary, drug trafficking and second-offense domestic battery.
Friday morning, Castillo was shot and killed by Las Vegas police officers as he held a pair of scissors to a woman's neck about 7:30 a.m. at 2917 Theresa Ave., a home near Washington Avenue and Mojave Road.
Police said Castillo refused officers' commands to drop the scissors. Officers twice tried to subdue him with a Taser, but failed. Castillo then grabbed one of the stun guns, police said.
One officer shot Castillo several times. He died at the scene.
According to court records, Castillo was convicted of domestic battery in 2005 and also charged with battery in 2007, when police arrested him after a fight with his brother.
During that fight, police discovered four small bags of cocaine and seven bags of methamphetamine on Castillo's person and charged him with possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, according to his police report.
The drug charges and battery charges later were dropped and Castillo pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit battery, a gross misdemeanor. He was given credit for time served.
In 2008, Castillo was charged with theft and burglary after a bizarre plan to stage a robbery at a bar with two others backfired.
According to the police report, the bartender asked Castillo to hit her in the head with a meat tenderizer and pretend to rob the register because she had gambled away $500 from the bar's till.
Detectives worked through the shaky surveillance footage and charged all three people involved. The felonies later were dropped when Castillo pleaded guilty to another gross misdemeanor, conspiracy to commit theft. He again was given credit for time served in the county jail.
Castillo did not stay out of trouble, however. He pleaded guilty to attempted burglary in March and was scheduled to be sentenced in July.
In that case, Castillo was arrested after barging into several valley homes and making death threats. Authorities said Castillo was likely to serve prison time for the charge.
On Sunday, police identified the officers involved in the incident as Robert S. Thompson and Baudelio Gastelum.
Thompson, 27, has been with the department since January 2002. Gastelum, 26, joined in November 2006. Both patrol officers are assigned to the Downtown Area Command.
Police did not say whether Thompson or Gastelum fired the fatal shots. That officer has been placed on routine, paid administrative leave.
The status of the second officer was not clear Tuesday.
The shooting is expected to be reviewed under the revamped coroner's inquest system.
Contact reporter Mike Blasky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-383-0283.