Dog perishes in east valley fire that caused $150,000 in damage


A dog died in an east valley house fire Thursday afternoon.

The Las Vegas Fire Department responded to heavy smoke and flames coming from a single-story house on Honolulu Street, near Charleston Boulevard and U.S. Highway 95.

Nobody was home during the fire, but the family’s dog was unable to escape, according to the Las Vegas Fire Department.

The fire entered the attic and was spreading throughout the house when firefighters arrived. The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes.

Investigators believe the fire started in the propane stove and extended to the cabinets before making its way into the attic.

The American Red Cross is assisting the three adults displaced by the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental. Damage was estimated at $150,000.

Contact reporter Steven Slivka at sslivka@reviewjournal.com. Follow @StevenSlivka on Twitter.

 

Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or Stephens Media LLC. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.